Sunday, November 08, 2009

Sunday thoughts

Today I took Lucas and Eva to church while Marc and Max stayed home (the sickness has changed hosts).

Today was the Primary program.

Lucas really really did not want to participate, as he doesn't know the songs in French. Eva wanted to give it a try. We watched the practice, which was hilarious, as Eva stood in the very front and basically sang any old thing to the familiar tunes (with a French word thrown in every now and then).

While I sat in the back and watched, I met another American mother. She has lived here with her family for 9 years, and I recognized her from past visits. She has a set of 16-month-old twins, one of whom contracted meningitis last Winter and nearly died. As a result, he became deaf and suffered major developmental setbacks. I got all teary as I listened to her tell of their ordeal, the effects it has had on their other children, and all of the help they received.

I thought a lot today about how different it is to hear about someone else's trials and to experience trials ourselves. I can think, "that must have been so hard, so painful," but I can't really know. And it feels like a gift when someone shares a piece of themselves like that.

Apparently the practice was all that Eva could handle, because when it was time for Sacrament Meeting, she buried her head in my arms and wouldn't surface. So, Eva missed her first Primary program.

It was darling. It had 8 kids, 5 of them American. They did a great job. And, how's this for funny? I saw at least four people standing in the aisles taking pictures. Although we don't meet in a traditional chapel, it still seemed strange. (I couldn't really blame them, though -- I was wishing I had my camera to get a picture of Eva during the practice.)

Kind of a mish-mash of feelings today.
To sum up:

I'm glad I went to the effort to go to church.
I'm glad I met that woman and that she shared part of her experience with me, so that I could feel those things, and get outside of myself for a bit.
I am slightly disappointed that I missed getting to see my kids in a Primary program this year, but I know there will be other programs.
I'm glad that I can comfort Eva by holding her in my arms.
Most of all, I'm glad that I know that we have a Savior who knows how to comfort us all.

11 comments:

patsy said...

Oh my goodness- what a difficult experience for that family/child. I can't even imagine... stories like that make me feel so grateful for my trials.

The primary program in Paris sounds fun :) I love the thought of Eva just singing any ol' words to the toon. lots of sunbeams won't participate in English - so I'm impressed she even practiced in French!

Jill said...

I told our primary about the tiny, primary there in France. Je suis une macon...

That poor woman and her poor baby. Is it worse that he's a twin?

You are right that hearing about people's trials isn't the same as experiencing them ourselves, but there is something to be said for feeling sympathy and gratitude as a result.

I'm glad there was more good in your mish-mash of feelings today.

jenn said...

You summarized the mish-mash so well and I love thinking of children across the ocean, giving a primary program in another language- that truth is available to all who will hear.

Marie said...

That is a mish-mash of feelings alright. Quite an emotional Sabbath.

Rebekah said...

I think that at some point in our eternal progression we have to come to know the pains and sorrows we might have missed out on while we were on earth if we want to become like Heavenly Father. If we are to succor our own spirit children, we have to understand all of the trials and heartaches that they will go through during their mortal existence. I used to focus so much energy on hoping and praying that certain hardships would pass me by, and while I still would like to avoid great devastation (who wouldn't?), I feel more at peace about difficulties being not only a strengthening opportunity for us, but also a learning opportunity for us to gain wisdom that we will need at an appointed time in the next life.

Listening to the trials that others are going through always helps me gain a greater understanding of what mortal life is like for Heavenly Father's other children. This helps me be more grateful and compassionate here and now, and I think it will help me in the hereafter as well.

Rebekah said...

I think that at some point in our eternal progression we have to come to know the pains and sorrows we might have missed out on while we were on earth if we want to become like Heavenly Father. If we are to succor our own spirit children, we have to understand all of the trials and heartaches that they will go through during their mortal existence. I used to focus so much energy on hoping and praying that certain hardships would pass me by, and while I still would like to avoid great devastation (who wouldn't?), I feel more at peace about difficulties being not only a strengthening opportunity for us, but also a learning opportunity for us to gain wisdom that we will need at an appointed time in the next life.

Listening to the trials that others are going through always helps me gain a greater understanding of what mortal life is like for Heavenly Father's other children. This helps me be more grateful and compassionate here and now, and I think it will help me in the hereafter as well.

Bond Girl 007 said...

oh, michelle lovely post...sometimes I don't know what I would do, if i did not have a shoulder to cry on...sometimes you just need from everyone....thank you for sharing.

thank you sooo much for your thoughts on the lettre! they were sooo sweet.
merci

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Yes, yes, yes, "And it feels like a gift when someone shares a piece of themselves like that." That's so true. It helps us to become more empathetic. You're so right.

Michelle said...

How great that you and that woman were there for each other! I think it would be fairly impressive to put on a program with only 8 children. We get spoiled here in Utah!

Ben Pack said...

The primary program was yesterday and was quite the hit here too. I thought of Eva when the little sunbeams got up to say their parts. We miss you guys. Benji especially misses Lucas, I don't think he has played a day outside of our home since you left. Please tell Lucas "Hi!" :(

Thanks for always sharing-and honestly-it keeps things in my heart from exploding.

Take care!

Amie said...

I agree that it is a gift when someone opens up to you. I have actually written thank you notes to a few who have shared something personal with me. I know we cannot "know" what it is like.. but I believe it lets us empathize, gain perspective, and in some cases a testimony...

Your Sunday thoughts in Paris always leave me thinking of how much we take for granted here with church being so "easy".

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...