Sunday, December 23, 2007

baby, it's cold inside!


We woke up this morning and discovered that our furnace stopped working sometime during the night. I remember feeling cold in bed, but I chalked it up to the fact that I went to bed with my hair wet...

We talked to the heating/air conditioning guy in our ward (who installed a new furnace for us 5 years ago) and told him what was happening. He got an "uh-oh" look in his eyes. Yikes. He's going to come check into it tomorrow morning.

For now, we're running space heaters that two different neighbors brought by. We can't have more than 3 going at a time, and we can't turn them very high, or we blow a fuse! Good grief.
I just hope this isn't going to be a big expensive repair at Christmastime.

We are all feeling pretty grateful that it's just the furnace, though. At least we still have power! We can cook, we have hot water, we have light, and now we have the space heaters. And our thermostat has even climbed up to 66 degrees! (And, truth be told, I kind of enjoy having a reason to dress in layers and wear warm cozy socks. I hardly ever get cold.)

13 comments:

Jill said...

Oh my goodness, 66 degrees inside during the winter feels absolutely frigid. I hope the layering helps cozy you up. You'll all have to sip hot chocolate while snuggled under quilts watching a movie together. Good luck!

Kelly said...

Oh dear! I hope it's a quick and easy fix for you tomorrow! That sounds really chilly. Our power went out once during a blizzard in Chicago, and I thought I would croak when our thermostat hit 60. I hope you find a way to stay cozy and warm!

chloe said...

This has nothing to do with your post, but I just read your comments and wanted to say that, yes, I have a raclette grill and you are more than welcome to borrow it some time. My friend has it right now for her family, but when I get it back, I am happy to share it. You can get the cheese at Harmon's.

j said...

oooh- good luck!!! that happened to us once and i was so grateful for heat after that!
i agree with jill- hot cocoa, blankets, movies... fantastic idea.

April said...

Something always goes out at our house on Christmas eve...one year it was the water heater...horrible. Better get in some good snuggling time with your husband!

rebecca said...

Oh, my! Lovely neighbors, trying to defrost you and all.
I totally agree about the layering - any less than a sweater and jeans and I feel a little under-dressed.
Good luck and I hope you enjoy some cozy family time!

patsy said...

Our furnace did the same thing last monday. So sorry - hope it's not expensive to fix!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Perfect title for your post, Michelle. I hope it isn't expensive, too.

Merry Cold Christmas.

Natasha said...

Oh no, repairs around already-expensive holidays are never good!
Let us know what happens.

Your Christmas good mail arrived today just as we were leaving for the Christmas Eve Mass. Seems you and I should just give up on mailing each other - your envelope to me had come apart and the post office put all of the tags in a clear plastic sleeve. I am amazed it still made it (all intact, I might add!)but then, we have had packages go around the world and back, right?!

What a wonderful Christmas gift! We see some of my mom's side of the family to celebrate Christmas on New Years day so I plan to use some of your cute tags on all those post-Christmas packages.

Thank You! Thank You! I love them.

carlo said...

eeeek! I am reading your "adventure" backward so now i see why you had the space heaters and blew the circuits. Yikes...

carlo said...

ps- Hope you are having a Merry WARM Christmas...I will look forward to hearing about your "adventure!"

Barb said...

We woke up very cold once, but not days before Christmas! And there's a furnace guy in our ward who solved our problem very quickly. I'm sending warm wishes!

Alisa said...

oh what a christmas you will remember..we had something similar during December when we lost electricity for a week here in OK- we had a place to stay..but boy what an experience. sorry...that it happened on Christmas..hopefully you will be able to look back and laugh. People around here are still dealing with the aftermath of losing electricity for that long!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...