Monday, December 24, 2007

cold Christmas

So, we were running two space heaters yesterday (at half wattage and half power), and it blew our fuses. Totally, completely, blew our fuses. We were left with partial power-- in the kitchen and in our master bedroom.

We turned off and unplugged everything we could, bundled everyone up in multiple pairs of pajamas and sweats and winter hats, and aimed two other, less powerful space heaters into the kids' bedrooms. Then we went to bed and hoped for the best! Fortunately, it only got down to 59 degrees in the house -- I really expected it to get colder.

Today the guy who installed our furnace came over to inspect the situation. It turns out that we have two problems: our furnace needs a new motherboard (I never even knew it had one!), and our main circuit breakers to the house (located outside) need to be replaced. Evidently they only last for about 2o years and our house is 30 years old.

And here's the kicker: we couldn't get any of the parts we need today since it's Christmas Eve, so now we have to wait until Wednesday!

We've had kind offers to sleep over with friends, family, and neighbors, but the bottom line is that we just want to be home for Christmas. We're fortunate in that our friendly neighborhood repair guy was able to rig up the circuits to allow us to have power to our stove. I'm glad to be able to bake and cook, at least.

We decided to go to Jill's house to deliver our gifts and enjoy a warm ride in the car. Her family offered us showers, laundry facilities, food, movie-watching, and basically anything else we might want or need. So we're hunkering down here for awhile, even though they left to go to Eagle Mountain for the family party! It's good to have a home away from home.

It may be cold, but it could definitely be worse. I'm thinking this will definitely be a Christmas we will always remember!

Merry Christmas Eve to everyone!

17 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

You're so good to stay optimistic Michelle. Merry, merry Christmas.

Natasha said...

Glad to hear you are still in good spirits. I understand, I would want to be in my own home for Christmas too.

jenny said...

Brrr is right. I am sure you will be sleeping with socks and hats tonight for sure. Merry Christmas!!

Jill said...

I don't know why this challenge has befallen you at this time, but I hope it passes quickly. I'm sure it will be very memorable for all of you. It's comforting to know Heidi has a basement apartment available for you guys so you can still be close to home, but you're definitely welcome here too. It would be fun to have a whole family sleep over. Think of the cards and Catan we could play?

(It just occurred to me that you won't even be able to read this comment unless you use mine or Heidi's computers...duh.)

carlo said...

oh my goodness! Thankfully you have some heat and are able to use the stove.

So wonderful that Jill has taken care of you for a bit...what terrible timing but I LOVE your attitude.

You will never forget it, that is for sure.

Rachel said...

I had to pick my jaw up off the keyboard after reading your day of shopping post! 15 stores is super impressive! What a dear, good firned to offer that help for you!

I'm so sorry you are FREEZING, but you are absolutely right; this will definitely be a CHristmas to remember! :)

Barb said...

Cold hands, warm heart? Merry Christmas, definately a Christmas to remember!

sista # 2 said...

Jovial Noel!!-Janae

patsy said...

oh my- I hope it gets fixed tomorrow!
I can understand wanting to be home for Christmas. It's really important with kids.
I hope you don't have as much snow as we have here north of Salt lake-9 inches. I guess it doesn't matter- it's still cold either way.
Jill is a great friend.
Merry Christmas!

Tasha said...

Oh Michelle! You are a trooper! I hope the heat gets fixed soon, you know you always have a place to stay in Logan! I can't speak for the outside temp. But I do keep it comfotably warm inside!

April said...

You are an amazing person to stay so un-grumpy about the whole thing.

Hope your Christmas is merry...and the furnace is fixed first thing on Wednesday!

Kelly said...

I'm sorry you are so cold! I hope you are warming up as we speak. That is terrible timing, and I'm impressed with your attitude about it. I'm quite sure I would be extremely grumpy about that.

Sending you warm wishes!

Anonymous said...

So sad! I can't believe this happened RIGHT before Christmas, your poor family. It's great that you have a friend like Jill- I am sure you would do the same for her. I hope that it gets fixed really, really soon. (And doesn't cost too much!)

Elisa said...

For years to come there will always be that family story that starts off "remember when we had no heat for Christmas?" and everyone will laugh and laugh.

I have great stories that were so painful or inconvient at the time:) They make family dinners fun.

Anonymous said...

sending you warm wishes and wondering how you are doing...

i am sure your post will be interesting!!

hope you are doing ok.

ps- so sweet that you made jill's custard...you are a wonderful friend, michelle!

Unknown said...

i am hope, hope, hoping that everything has been fixed, and that you enjoyed a cozy holiday with your precious family!

Marie said...

It will at least make for a funny Christmas memory! Yay to have Jill to crash with!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...