Saturday, May 19, 2012

a dream come true

Tuesday was the big night of Max's All-Star Evening with the Utah Symphony! All of those rehearsals and hours of practice were leading up to this.
Sadly, both Marc and his parents were out of town, but Jill, Lucas, and I went to Abravanel Hall in Salt Lake. Michelle, Nicole, and Kristen met us there. (Eva was home with a babysitter.)

The first half of the concert was the Utah Symphony and a guest 13-year-old violin virtuoso. She was incredible. They played Tchaikovsky's Concerto in D Major for Violin and Orchestra.

Jill had to resort to counting the lights above the performers when the movements went long.
setting up
Ready.
From our original seats, we could only see the cellist's feet, since this symphony uses a non-standard arrangement with the cellists in the center. Fortunately, Max's teacher found us some empty seats in the center where she was seated, and we moved at intermission. Then I had a perfect view of my boy! I was thrilled.

We were not supposed to take video, but I couldn't resist getting just a couple of snippets:


{part of Finlandia by Sibelius}


{part of "Montagues and Capulets" from Romeo and Juliet by Prokofiev}

They also played Wagner's "Siegfried's Funeral March"


I didn't take a single picture of the whole symphony! (I guess I get a bit short-sighted.) Jill took this one, where at least you can see the entertaining Russian conductor.
When the performance was over, Max received a bit more instruction from his mentor.
A section of the Chihuly installation in the lobby.
I'm never downtown at night! (Well, except for seeing the lights at Temple Square at Christmastime.) 

I loved seeing one of Max's dreams come true, and I was so proud. It was a wonderful night.

6 comments:

Jill said...

What an amazing opportunity for him!! He did so well. I'm glad I got to see him in action like that (even if the hour leading up to his part was torturous for me).

Amy said...

Ok, this just confirms it--Max is one of the coolest kids ever! What an incredible experience for him! He looked so good and passionate up there! I'm impressed.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Clap! Clap! Clap! Applause!

What a dream come true for both of you. So sad Marc had to miss it.

This is wonderful.

patsy said...

OH mAN!!!
this kid is so cool!!!
If he ever needs a great date... chloe is almost 16. Just sayin'

Unknown said...

I'm so thrilled that you took the video!!! It made me feel more like part of it. He is so handsome and manly! I sort of laughed because he makes some "lip movements" should I say, like Dad does when he does certain things!!

He looked so intense , handsome, accomplished. How fast the years have gone. I am so proud of his dedication and accomplished talent.

I had to watch the video several times to get my fill and will continue to do so over the next few days, I'm sure.

It seemed to me that the first video certainly had to be in high speed!!!

Congratulations, Max. He is a wonderful young man. I wish I could just be there for these occasions.

linda said...

Hooray for him! It is always thrilling when your child fulfills one of their most cherished dreams. It sounded wonderful and he looked as if he was loving every minute of it!

I know you must be proud, and as you should, because of your dedication to him many of his dreams will come to pass.

What a tender moment it must have been for you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...