Thursday, May 19, 2011

school plays, part I




When Max told me his school was going to be putting on a production of Les Mis, I was really surprised, and a little bit skeptical. I wondered how in the world a high school could pull it off.

Then when he auditioned to play in the pit orchestra and became the only cellist, I wondered how in the world he would manage the crazy schedule of being at school until 10:00 p.m. or later, all while taking driver's ed. and having to be at school at 6:00 a.m.!

His schedule was indeed difficult, and he fell asleep in quite a few strange places/positions, but it was all worth it in the end because he had such a wonderful time – and the show ended up being truly impressive.

We all went to see it on Friday night. I didn't know if Eva would make it through the whole three hours, but she loved it! (She fell asleep on my lap for a bit after intermission and was disturbed to discover she had missed the wedding scene.) Lucas really enjoyed it as well, despite his professed dislike of musicals.

I was really impressed with the cast and the caliber of their performance. I don't think my high school could have done it! We had several good singers, but probably not enough to outfit this huge cast.

I hadn't seen Les Mis or even heard the music in many years, but it all came right back to me as I watched. Marc and I found ourselves humming along and singing these familiar songs long after the show was over.

During the finale, I remembered how much fun it is to be part of something big. It is a great play, and I'm so glad Max had the opportunity to participate!

10 comments:

Jill said...

It's cool that Max got to be the only cellist in the orchestra.

I know all the words and music to Les Mis, but I've never actually seen it.

Denise said...

More photos of the costumes, please!

jt said...

I thought of Denise when I saw the costumes! I love Les Mis, it is my very favorite musical. I wish I could have seen it while I was there! I am impressed that Eva made it though and even enjoyed it!

Kim Sue said...

wow that is a big one to take on! good for them!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Wow. Don't you love it when you see people do the very best with what they have? Impressive.

rmt said...

Wow, that IS impressive! Les Mis is not an easy performance to pull off.

I think it's wonderful that Max plays the cello. It is hands-down my favorite string instument. I'm hoping I can talk Daniel into playing.

Susan said...

I'm so sad that I couldn't go! I'm also thrilled that Max could participate. It is such a good experience to be a part of a successful production-great team work.

...I was hoping for a video cut!

Very impressive that Eva made it through.Very!

patsy said...

Our h.s. pulled this off several years ago- I was stunned! I am lucky enough to have seen it on Broadway (hooray $20 standing room only tickets.)
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this show! I too am thrilled Max got the opportunity to participate. What a GREat experience.

Barb said...

That's fantastic, I just love to see kids who want to get involved and have something they are passionate about. I saw a school edition of Les Mis this year, but I they auditioned the whole city to pull it off, not just a single school. That's a lot of talent in one place you've got there.

jenn said...

RED- the blood of angry men.
BLACK- the dark of ages past...

Kate and I sang for days after we saw it! And Max was amazing! There were some great singers but the music was so well done and really out shined the cast on multiple occasions. It was a delightful surprise to see his name on the program!

Kate wanted to see Les Mis, that is the only reason we went, but in addition to Max being on the program, we ran into our friends, The Metros and their son, Daniel, was the percussionist!

I think it was a great show and I'm glad it was a good experience for Max.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...