Sunday, January 17, 2010

Sunday thoughts

Today was ward conference. The theme was about coming unto Christ.

Our bishop spoke about the importance of forgiving ourselves. Of course we need to forgive others, but sometimes it is even harder to forgive ourselves. He exhorted us to relieve ourselves of the burdens we carry around needlessly, and reminded us that without regular repentance and forgiveness (including self-forgiveness), we are not truly availing ourselves of the blessings of the Atonement.

A member of the stake presidency came into Primary and told the children that they can come unto Christ by trying to be like Him. He told them stories and gave them examples of ways they can do that:

1. holding hands
2. giving hugs and kisses
3. writing notes

with specific emphasis on doing these things for their parents and other family members. He had their complete attention and it was adorable.

It is fun being able to watch Eva in Primary. She was chosen as a helper twice and took the role of holding up pictures very seriously. I could see her singing the words to a new song we are learning.

There is a new Sunbeam named Peter that reminds me of Max as a Sunbeam. He had all the answers to every question, could identify every picture, knew about John the Baptist, etc. So precocious, so cute.

I had 7 kids in my class today and it was definitely noisier and rowdier. Having 5 seven-year-old boys in one small room is quite a challenge (the girls were still and quiet).

We talked about being a child of God. We discussed the differences that make each person unique, but emphasized the important commonality that we share. We talked about the fact that when we don't like someone, it can be hard to remember that they are also a child of God. We talked about the many ways we can know that God loves us, chief among these the fact that he sent us to live with families.

I love these kids.

8 comments:

jenn said...

Sounds like a good day.

I feel that you love those kids. I love what callings do to expand our talents and capacities if we are open to the Spirit.

Jill said...

The writing notes part reminded me of Max's recent offerings to you, so sweet.

Whitney makes me notes and pictures fairly often but I'm always surprised when I get them. I find myself thinking that I must be doing better than I think I am if she still wants to give me things.

Melinda said...

That is so great that a member of the stake pres came into primary! I have never heard of that.

Susan said...

I am teaching the same course! But, I have 4 precarious girls (one, in particular!)and two boys, each with special needs.

I was surprised to find out that the girls were excited and thrilled having been told that I was going to be their new teacher. Several had brought me gifts of CTR shields, hand colored! They each wanted to take turns wearing my pashmina! I promptly told them that I would be happy to bring enough pashminas for all next week!

I think I am going to enjoy the class.

I'm thinking that I wish you were one week ahead of me, so that I could glean from your keen lessons!

I love your tender expressions and Sunday Thoughts. Thank you.

I can just imagine little Eva, just as you described her! So sweet.

Charlotte said...

I remember the first time I realized the importance of forgiving ourselves and how it's changed me. If you don't forgive yourself, you aren't partaking fully in the atonement.

I love that mental picture of Eva—too cute.

And only Susan could bring enough pashminas for everyone in her primary class!

Amanda said...

What sweet thought to give in Primary! I think some kids are not so inclined to hold hands and be affectionate so it's sweet to give them a nudge.

Amie said...

I love hearing you talk about primary. I wish all primary teachers felt like that (including me, luckily I am not a teacher at the moment) - it is such an important place to be but I don't think most of us realize the power we have with the children.

Rebekah said...

What cute ideas for Primary children! I love that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...