Sunday, January 03, 2010

Sunday thoughts

A lot of good things happened today.

- One little boy bore his testimony and said, "I know we can do what we have to do." I was struck by it, and then a woman got up and spoke about how touched she was by his childlike faith. What if we all truly believed that we could do what we have to do?

- Today was my first day of teaching the 7-year-olds in Primary. They seemed to love me from the moment they came over and sat by me for singing/sharing time. Is it really that easy? Just be there with a smile and be interested in them? Hot diggity dog!

I will say that class time is a bit more challenging. They're great kids -- darling, too -- but they just have so much enthusiasm for, well, everything. Very hard to keep them on topic. I think they will stretch me this year.

- After the block, Max was set apart as the secretary of the Teacher's Quorum. This is his third calling already, hard to believe. All four families of the presidency members met in the bishop's office to witness all of them be set apart. It feels like a privilege to hear all of these blessings, and I particularly liked Max's: the bishop encouraged him to continue being a sober young man and that he could have great influence at home, at church, and at school. He told him that the callings he receives now are preparing him for the great work he will be called to do in the future. (I'm sure that is true of all the youth, but somehow it is really striking when you hear it about your own progeny!)

- I decided last week that with our 1:00-4:00 church schedule, I would have to become better friends with my crock pot. I put in the stuff to make apricot chicken before church and we had a tasty dinner ready not long after we got home. This was especially welcome on Fast Sunday!

- Marc and Max went to a stake fireside tonight and found out more about the pioneer trek that our youth will be doing this summer! Max is a bit nervous, and I can't blame him at all.

- Marc gave the kids their back-to-school father's blessings. We've never done that in January before! It's just crazy that my kids are finally going back to school after a seven month hiatus. Wish us luck.

10 comments:

crystal said...

Yes--that is probably a little disorienting, to be going back to school after 7 months. Weird.

I am envious of your primary class. I got released from primary secretary and i will MISS it DEARLY. I got called to be in scouts--i think--i haven't actually BEEN to CHURCH to hear my calling. But my husband reported to me that we were called.

Ugh. I can't help it; I'm dreading scouts like the FREAKING plague.

Jill said...

I love being a primary teacher and often miss now that I'm in the presidency. I sat with the new Sunbeams yesterday and loved how they would lean into me and talk to me, they're so sweet. Good luck with class time, you'll have to mix things up to keep them focused.

I think we need to be more crock pot savvy for Sundays as well since we now meet from 2-5!

It crazy to me that your kids have been out of school since last May!!

jenn said...

I'm trying to play catch up on blogs without sacrificing my whole day so this is my catch up comment-

I think you'll be a great primary teacher and PLEASE share any good crock pot recipes you find! I only have two that I like.

A decade?!! I will definitely be looking back at my last ten years because I LOVED this post.

Ruffles, scarves and tulle- I love Paris.

Fondue is a family tradition for us too but we did cheese, oil, chocolate AND caramel- how do I get to make just one?!!

I want to know if your marshmallow recipe is anything like mine. Mine are green though. hmm.

Your blog always makes me want to reminisce... past Christmases...

(Can't wait to see you on Thursday!!)

Michelle said...

What a great Sunday!

You will totally be able to handle the 7 year olds. Just keep bringing in some of your fabulous bread...they will be still and quiet....for about 20 seconds.

Amanda said...

We just ended our one year stint with 1-4 church and the crockpot was my good friend through it all!

How crazy your kids are just going back to school. They must be nervous/excited!

I've never taught Primary...I hope it goes well for you!

Rebekah said...

I saw one of my cousins be set apart once, and since then I have always dreamed of witnessing one of my children have the same experience. I love the priesthood and I love that it isn't only reserved for high ranking members of the church.

Crock pots are magic. I can never help myself from peaking under the lid to see how things are transforming.

Father's blessings! Again, I love that we have the opportunity to have the Lord's priesthood in our home.

Anonymous said...

7 months of no school...didn't think about that. I hope the transition is smooth.

I have been embracing the crockpot more. I have found a few go-to recipes that we love. It just makes sense on busy days.

Bond Girl 007 said...

I think they have had the best schooling ever TRAVEL!!!!!Hey, what a great thing, our schedule changed from 1 to 4 too! I am not too excited, I love church early early early. Oh my. Having dinner ready when you arrive does SEEM enticing though.....

emily said...

I love what that boy said. And I'm glad that you're making the best of 1:00 church. Good Sundays are so wonderful.

Denise said...

I need to Mod Podge the quote from that young boy's testimony and post it prominently throughout my house.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...