Sunday, November 01, 2009

Sunday thoughts

I was home yet again with Eva and Lucas, both of whom had coughs and fevers this morning.

I played monsters and dinosaurs.
I read. (Finally almost finished with The Count of Monte Cristo.)
I took a nap!
I made Tagine d'Agneau aux Poires for dinner. Also Oatmeal Rolls. (These two things do not in any way go together, but I was trying to please the different eating contingents in our family. Plus, they're both delicious.)
I finished watching The Wizard of Oz with Max and Lucas.

But the best thing I did all day was to listen to another session of General Conference on my ipod.

It never fails to make me stop and listen, take out a pen and paper, and write down the things that speak to me. The main thing I felt inspired by today had to do with temperance.

"Being temperate is to use moderation in all things or to exercise self-control."


"Being temperate means to carefully examine our expectations and desires, to be diligent and patient in seeking righteous goals."

"A temperate soul—one who is humble and full of love—is also a person of increased spiritual strength. With increased spiritual strength, we are able to develop self-mastery and to live with moderation. We learn to control, or temper, our anger, vanity, and pride. With increased spiritual strength, we can protect ourselves from the dangerous excesses and destructive addictions of today’s world."

This excellent talk was just what I needed to hear today. I was instructed that temperance is a gift of the Spirit, one that can be sought after and conferred upon us by the Holy Ghost. I was reassured that temperance is always a good thing, contrary to what the world would tell us. We only have to look to our Savior to know that this is truth. Oh yes, I am seeking after these things.

8 comments:

Jill said...

I love picturing you in your tiny Paris kitchen with your headphones on listening to Conference singing with the choir. The image is vivid in my mind and ears since I was able to witness it multiple times during my trip. I'm sure your kids will have happy memories of the beautiful singing and wonderful smells coming from the kitchen during their childhood. What a gift!

crystal said...

I loved that talk! And when reading the excerpt here, it felt like a description of a Jane Austen character. Silly.

I loved Le Compte; haven't read it since high school. Are you reading it in French or English?

Michelle said...

This is the greatest challenge of life! I feel as if I have moments of temperance that quickly float away.

rmt said...

I have had a sick child, too. I am SO done with sickness. I just hope it's done with us. Hope your kids feel better soon!

Temperance...this is a life-long struggle for me for sure!

Esther said...

We talked about this in church today and how its a struggle for all of us but if it wasn't then how would we improve ourselves and increase our Faith.

Thank you for the quotes from the conference...some real food for thought here.

Elizabeth said...

I hope the kids are feeling better.
I make your oatmeal rolls like once a week. We all love them.

Bond Girl 007 said...

ohhhhh temperance......something to seek for sure. Something I desperately need and find and then keep and use.

Rebekah said...

This was a standout talk to me. I've never thought of temperance before, I wonder what experience led him to pick this virtue. It's so important, but rarely spoken of.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...