Thursday, October 30, 2008

Creative Wednesday

Jill came over yesterday for Creative Wednesday, since Friday is all tied up with Halloween things. I can't come up with the words to express how happy it makes me that she is as committed to Creative Friday as I am, and therefore willing to reschedule so we don't have to wait until next week.

She came up with this creative oven mitt solution for her "cutter's elbow". A bit unorthodox, perhaps, but it seemed to help!

We opened the package that Kristi sent for us to open together. Seriously cute Halloween stamp sets! I love that she sends us joint packages, it is so fun and she is so thoughtful.

I worked on gratitude journals for some of my new Laurels. I want to give them each one of my "friendship shortcut" kits.

If it's wrong to love these so, I'm just not sure I want to be right.

I had to post this photo, even though it's not so great of me. Look at the mischievous sparkle in Jill's eyes! I think she looks so cute.

Here's something I found interesting: I went visiting teaching on Tuesday, and after chatting for a long while and giving the monthly lesson, I started telling the woman we were visiting about Creative Friday! I had no plans to talk about that, but I suddenly found myself telling her how my grandma (CJP) advised me, when Max was very young, to carve out time for myself. To make time. To find a way to take care of me, to do something that I like to do.

I remember it so clearly, and it was definitely an a-ha moment for me. She gave me permission to find ways to take care of me, and I guess I needed permission to do it. I read, I work on projects, I do other things I enjoy, but Creative Friday is at the top of my list of things I do for me, because it makes me a better me, and a better mom. Apparently I was being guided, for this friend -- pregnant with her 6th child -- seemed to really need to hear that. You just never know, do you?

9 comments:

crystal said...

I love this VT story.

Will you post the finished product of the Gratitude Journals & shortcut to friendship kits? (i'm thinking you've posted these already...am i wrong) I want to do the gratitude journal for an activity w/ my miamaids.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I was thinking the same thing as Crystal. Would you mind posting these journals when they're done?

I'm glad you shared that story. I don't think just the sister you visit teach needed the message! Thank you. I appreciate what you teach me.

Jill said...

I love how little revelations like that come out while visiting teaching, I'm sure that's why it's so important to really go. Hopefully you liberated this woman so she'll be free to do some things just for her guilt-free!

I think we've got a really good thing going, and I'm always grateful!

Unknown said...

i'd love to see the gratitude journals, as well!!

i love time that is especially for me - it is always inspiring to read that you and jill have made this a true "art form."

Amy said...

One more vote for seeing the finished product. Your grandmother's advice was so worthwhile. I know that my sanity only stays when I carve out time for myself. I love that you & Jill do it together.

Amie said...

For the short time that I had a creative gathering going I loved it... it does change your week and somehow gives you more time instead of less. You guys definitely have a good thing going.

Susan said...

Yes on the crow stamp! (I say throw a little black glitter on it!)

Great eyebrow shot of Jill! Wow, those eyes really are sparkling!

And, please put on my Christmas list a friendship shortcut kit!! I'm serious!

Anonymous said...

Your devotion to this weekly event is so inspiring to me!

I hope you take pictures of the journals and share them.

The Halloween colored M&Ms are so pleasing.

And Kristi is awesome :)

wende said...

your grandma is right, we are better mothers when we take time for ourselves, what a smart lady!

and really, there is NOTHING wrong with loving m&m's.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...