Friday, December 28, 2007

warm

We're warm again! We had our heat and power restored on Wednesday night, to the tune of $1400. Here's a brief re-cap of the last few days.

On Christmas Eve, we gradually lost more and more power, including all the outlets in our kitchen. Marc had to cook sausage and hash browns in the bathroom! Yikes.

This is one of the low-power space heaters that we could use without losing what power we had left. (If we had to change our clothes, standing right in front of them would make it bearable.)

My mom thought the worst thing was that we couldn't have our tree lights turned on for Christmas. We thought the worst thing was being so cold (that, and not being able to cook a Christmas dinner). When it was still dark in the morning, it was a little depressing to not have the tree lights, but when daylight came, it wasn't so bad.

We were all in good spirits, and it was a pretty good day, but I started to crash on Christmas afternoon. I had taken a shower, but couldn't dry my hair (it takes hours to air dry). I was so cold and couldn't get warm, despite wearing two sweatshirts and a robe and lying on the couch under a down throw. Plus, I was really depressed about not being able to cook a decent Christmas dinner. We ate cold food all day and then risked cooking some pasta at night. Just pasta with sauce from a jar. Not my idea of a Christmas dinner!

When we woke up on Wednesday, the indoor temperature was down to 52 degrees and we couldn't stay here any longer. After taking Eva to the doctor (sinus infection), we all headed to our neighbor Heidi's house.

We put together a 500-piece puzzle.

We enjoyed a crackling fire.

We warmed up to the point that we were peeling of some of our many layers of clothing. Heidi fed us lunch and dinner, she played with Eva, and I even took a little nap!

The furnace was fixed about 7:30 p.m. and we came home to put Eva to bed. After a few more glitches yesterday (the furnace was alternating hot and cold air and we still didn't have power to the kitchen outlets), everything is finally fixed! I baked a giant loaf of sheepherder's bread to celebrate.

Marc and I went to see a movie last night, and discovered that, now that we are finally warm, we want to stay that way! We were irritable about the cold drive and walking into the theater. I even wore gloves and a scarf in the theater! (my mom will never believe it) I guess our cold tolerance has gone down. We're warm and we want to stay that way.

19 comments:

patsy said...

Oh my goodness- I am so glad the frozen life is over. Such bad timing.
The presents under your beautiful tree are so pretty.
What a GREAT neighbor!

Jill said...

The thought of you and Marc being irritable about the cold in the car and walking into the theater is hilarious to me, I would feel the same way, but it's still funny. I can't believe you wore gloves and a scarf IN the movie! What if this incident turns you into a coldie?? Oh my.

Three cheers for Heidi!!!

Jill said...

P.S. $1400 is just too cruel!

Robin said...

Wow, just taking a moment to catch up on a few blogs - sounds like you had one interesting Christmas! Man, what a crappy deal with the loss of power/furnace not working/coldness/lack of Christmas dinner...ness. As you said though, I'm sure it's one Christmas you will definitely remember!

Anonymous said...

Glad to read that you are warm again. Nice nieghbor to warm you up. Sorry the cost was so much. yikes $1400!

Unknown said...

i hope there are good memories and some humor to be found here. i'm chuckling a little at the way you tell the tale (o.k., i was REALLY chuckling over hash browns in the bathroom!)

hope you have a toasty fabulous weekend!

chloe said...

Not fun at all...although I only have a space heater, but at least I can crank it up. And truly, I'm sorry about your Christmas dinner. That would have made me very, very sad.

carlo said...

oh i have been thinking of you constantly. yay for neighbors...

so you braved it in the cold house,huh?

sausage in the bathroom>? love your skills!

here's to hoping that your NewYear's Eve is less eventful and WARM!

rebecca said...

I am so glad you thawed out! You are right - this is a Christmas season you will always remember! Thank goodness for Heidi, and I'm with Jill -so funny (and I would completely be the same way) that you were grouchy about being cold outdoors later!
Enjoy the rest of your holiday!

Amy said...

Don't you love the timing on that?! And $1400 is enough to make you very, very grateful for the warmth. I hate these things when they happen, but they definitely make the best memories in hindsight!

Rachel said...

I'm so glad you're finally warm, but sorry it costs so dang much! Your tree looks beautiful and that wrapping is to die for! I am a sucker for that shade of blue!

April said...

1400 bucks at Christmastime. Ugh and yuck! I am so, so happy you are warm now, and that you have a friend with a fireplace. I bet you will never forget this Christmas...I just don't know if that's a good thing!

Natasha said...

1400?! Ouch. That hurt all the way down here in Louisiana.

Anonymous said...

Well, I don't know if I thought the WO"RST thing was not having any tree lights, just a bad bad sad, sad, very sad thing! No heat is by far the worst!! As you know I have NO tolerance for being cold, especially in the house! Just the mental image of you in gloves and a scarf, well, THAT is too much to imagine! Maybe this trauma will cause you to have a more even tolerance for cold and heat! Glad all is back to normal, except the bank account!

Love to all,

Anonymous said...

Okay, this new format for signing in caused me to be "anonymous" ....I'll try again!

Anonymous said...

$1400 just seems like adding insult to injury after spending a freezing cold Christmas with bathroom cooking and jarred pasta sauce and an Eva sinus infection to boot. So sorry! But, I'm glad you are warm again. As a "coldie" myself, I can sympathize with your scarf and gloves in the movies. I've been pondering a stocking cap for regular daytime use.

Jordan said...

And I hope you do (stay warm)! My goodness Michelle, you and yours will always remember this Christmas--what timing! 52 degrees--I would never have lasted until then.

Anonymous said...

I hate spending money on things you can't even see! Hope everything's getting back to normal. Things have been pretty crazy around here and I'm just now catching up on blog-reading. Can't wait to try the fool-proof turkey timer--thanks!

Barb said...

I'm glad you are warm again, though you may never recover by the sounds of it. Time to get a car with heated seats!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...