Saturday, December 09, 2006

a new car!


It almost seemed like this day would never come -- I'm sure it did seem like that to Marc! Today's the day he replaced the 1988 Honda Civic that he bought before we even started dating. He's been driving that car for almost 18 years!! So what did he get? A 2007 Civic! (I'm amused and impressed that this is his (reasonable) dream car...)

He has been teaching an extra evening class to pay down his credit card, and his parents gave him money for the down payment as a congratulatory tenure gift. He has been researching this car for months -- he knew exactly what he wanted, and it was looking like it might be hard to get. The local dealership told him he couldn't get it until February. But today he went to Salt Lake to check things out and ended up driving home his new car!

Of course I took a bunch of photos when he came home with it, including a side-by-side comparison of the old and new Civics. He is now experiencing the same feelings I had when I got my Odyssey: automatic windows and locks? air conditioning and heat that works? a CD player? a functioning emergency brake? driving a car that doesn't feel like it's about to fall apart at any moment? Amazing!

Marc is going to donate the old car to a charity of some sort. He'll probably be even happier, if that is possible, when he gets rid of that one. He has worked so hard, he has waited so long... he totally deserves it and I am so excited for him!

{See all the photos here.}

19 comments:

Tasha said...

Congrats Marc! Those are great pictures. I can't believe he has been driving that car for 18 years, good for him! Did he get the hybrid?

everything pink! said...

this is so great.
Jeff still drives our 1995 Jetta and refuses to buy a new car until this breaks down.
There is something to be said about a man who will make due, don't you think?
He told his brother "when i do get a new car I want one with automatic locks and automatic windows" his brother said, Jeff all cars have that now.
kids love getting in jeff's car because they think it is cool to roll down your window themself.
i love that you wrote this down and it tells a lot about how amazing your husband is.

one of the evils in our life is feeling like we deserve something but still not being able to afford it, Jeff definatly deserves a nice car, he has worked his tail off, but we always say that does not mean he can afford it just because he may deserve it..

sorry for my long comments.

jenny said...

Woo hoo for a new car. Thats so great and much deserved!

Amie said...

How cool! It is so fun to get new things, especially ones worked so hard for and waited for.... I am impressed to that his dream car is so practical, then again practical dreams have a greater chance of happening!

Jill said...

I gasped when I saw the first picture of Marc in his new car, I had no idea he was going to get it today. I feel so happy for him I could cry. Congratulations!!!!

melanie said...

I am so happy for Marc too! Very deserved! Maybe he will love running errands for you no matter how hot or cold it is. Working ac and heater...priceless!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic! I love that it was somewhat on a whim that day too.

I love Kristi's comment: "There is something to be said about a man who will make due, don't you think?" I totally agree!!!

Congrats to Marc and to your family.

Diana said...

Oh how pretty. It is so new and shiny.
Marc must be very excited. WE have 1994 Camry, it stil runs great with 187 K miles but I seriously can't wait till we can afford a new car.
Congrats!

Amy said...

How exciting! Have you all been for a family ride in it yet? He does totally deserve it. Marc works so hard. It's nice to see the benefits of so much work. I hope he loves his Civic--and that he doesn't have to drive that one for 18 years!

Unknown said...

I wanna see more pics but the link isn't working! :(

Congrats to Marc! :)

Unknown said...

Never mind my last lame comment. You have to actually press the "here" for it to work...bWahahaAA! :P

Alison said...

That car looks awesome. I have car envy (we don't have a car in NYC.)

amy gretchen said...

Congrats! I'm impressed he drove the same car for so long. I wish that would rub off on Adam. I always find it awesome when you go out shopping just to look/check things out and then you end up coming home with what you were looking for. So happy for you.

Robin said...

I think my civic has civic envy now. The new style is just so...shiny. And pretty! Civics are such great cars - as Marc proved, they can go FOREVER. How exciting for him and your family to get his new car!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Marc!!! He sounds like he deserves it. We have been out of residency for a year and a half and Alph is still driving my 1992 Honda Accord. I think he is starting to feel the pain too.

So happy for your husband!

Chelsea said...

Michelle,

I have been a bit of a lurker on your blog for a while now, but I just read your thoughtful comment to my friend Amanda and I had to write and tell you that I found it very sweet and genuine. Like you, I've also sat with friends who have lost babies and I just felt like your comment was really sincere----anyway, maybe this is a goofy comment to post, but hopefully it will be the first of many.....comments that is, as opposed to goofy ones :)

Jordan said...

Congrats! What a guy to save up and work for his own car. I love that he bought the same make and model of his 18-year-old car...very practical.

Alison said...

Where are you?

jenny said...

Michelle are you sick?? We miss you and hope everything is okay.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...