Monday, June 19, 2006

Sneelock


After my Father's Day post, someone asked what a Sneelock is, so I decided I had to explain it. Sneelock is a character in one of my favorite books, Dr. Seuss's If I Ran the Circus. (If you haven't read this book, go get it.) In it, a young boy dreams of cleaning up the vacant lot behind Sneelock's Store and turning it into a stupendous circus (the Circus McGurkus). He dreams up all kinds of fantastic acts for the circus, which often involve Sneelock, usually doing dangerous or difficult or thankless jobs. (By the way, I just noticed that Dr. Seuss dedicated the book to his dad, so I'm guessing that he was a Sneelock too!)

Here are some excerpts:
And you'll now meet the Foon! The Remarkable Foon
Who eats sizzling hot pebbles that fall off the moon!
And the reason he likes them red hot, it appears,
Is he greatly enjoys blowing smoke from his ears.
Of course pebbles like this are quite hard to collect
But Sneelock will manage, somehow, I expect.
After all, Mr. Sneelock is one of my friends
And I'm sure he'll help out doing small odds and ends.
-----
And now Here!
In this cage
Is a beast most ferocious
Who's known far and wide
As the Spotted Atrocious
Who growls, howls and yowls
The most bloodcurdling sounds
And each tooth in his mouth
Weighs at least sixty pounds
And he chews up and eats with the greatest of ease
Things like carpets and sidewalks and people and trees!
But the great Colonel Sneelock is just the right kind
Of a man who can tame him. I'm sure he won't mind.
-----
And NOW!
Again Sneelock!
Brave Sneelock is back
Risking life on my patented Life-Risking-Track
While the speedsters I call my Colliding-Collusions
Race round in swift cars called Abrasion-Contusions
And Sneelock just lies there. Not one bit excited.
I know he won't mind. He'll be simply delighted.
At the end of the book, the little boy says:
He'll manage just fine.
Don't ask how he'll manage.
That's his job. Not mine.
So you see that Sneelock is always getting roped into doing whatever needs doing. It's not necessarily easy, and it's certainly never convenient. But Sneelock does it all and stays cool as a cucumber. He's always pictured in the book as standing there with his pipe in his mouth and his hands in his pockets, not a care in the world. The boy always says, "Sneelock will do it. Sneelock won't mind."

I'm not sure when we started calling my dad Sneelock. He will do anything you ask him to do. If he comes back from the grocery store after getting what you sent him out to get, and you say you forgot to tell him about a crucial ingredient, he will turn right around and go back to get it. He'll even buy you tampons, no problem. If you need something heavy to be moved, he's on it. If you mention your kids might like a sandbox to play in, he's already calculating the materials and dimensions. He drives almost an hour each way to pick up his grandson for the weekend. Every weekend. He did an early morning paper route for years to make ends meet. He drove an old car we called "the Death Trap" forever. You see, he just does whatever you need. He does whatever it takes, and he doesn't complain. He's our own resident Sneelock.

I didn't realize until I left home how rare Sneelocks are. My husband, for example, thinks that when we call my dad Sneelock it's a pejorative. He doesn't realize it's the highest compliment I could ever pay anyone.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the explaination. After all my years in this family, I never heard the tale behind the nickname. The similarities are uncanny!

Anonymous said...

I love this post! Your dad is THE quintessential Sneelock! In fact, I can't think of anyone that I know that is more willing to do whatever you ask. He is such a loving and supportive man.

Tasha said...

I love it! I figured it had to be some sort of Seuss reference, but I am a new mom and I couldn't place it.

I love that story, I agree, it is a high compliment since you are aware how rare sneelocks are and you don't take him for granted.

I've got to go get that book!
Tasha

Diana said...

Thanks for the explanation. I too want the book now. You and Jessie are very lucky to come from such great parents.

Jana said...

I've never even heard of that book. (And I thought that I was well-read. :))

Robyn said...

I have never heard of that book either. We love Dr. Seuss at our house. Not so good for late night bedtime stories, though. I usually skip a few paragraphs... or pages. I will have to go get this one.

What a great compliment for your Dad. He sounds wonderful.

Amie said...

I love the things you said about your dad. He is lucky to have someone like you to recognize the great qualities and not take them for granted.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I have not heard of this book either! Your dad has always sounded awesome, and the things you said about him just show it even more.

jenny said...

I'm glad you explained what it was (a Sneelock. I too was wondering. I love Dr. Suess books as do my kids.

Amy said...

My Dad's the same way. What a blessing to have someone who loves you so much he'll do anything for you.

jenn said...

What the he##! How have I not heard of this book? I MUST find it! Thanks for the explanation!

Anonymous said...

I am thinking that when I retire, I may retire from Sneelock-hood as well :) Then for breakfast every morning I can have green eggs and ham. I may even get a star upon thar!

By the way...I have always felt that service is the true expression of love. With a great family, how could one not serve??

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post, we need more Sneelock's. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I'm late in posting (and I really should be packing) but I can't help but chime in on this one! For starters, I can't believe that my very own Emily didn't know the source of the nickname! I think we started calling your dad that when your family moved to Denver and lived with us while your house was being built. "If I Ran the Circus" was one of the books left over from my childhood and so it became a bedtime pick for you and Ryan. It perfectly suits your dad because he has always been that way--quietly and willingly giving service when and where it's needed. He's one of my favorite people to have around (even if I don't need tampons at 10p.m.).

Jill said...

How sweet of your dad to say that service is the true expression of love. If you translated all of his Sneelock services over the years you'd be drowning in love! What a guy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...