Sunday, June 18, 2006

Happy Father's Day!


Lucas just came up to me and said, "I think Dad's having a good day. Mother's Day and Father's Day are good days." I couldn't agree more. With all of the time and effort that goes into being a parent, we need these days to honor mothers and fathers! We made buttermilk pancakes with strawberries and whipped cream and took Marc his breakfast in bed. The kids gave him the nice poem (Lucas) and letter (Max) that they made for him in school. He did have to stay after church to work on tithing and other financial matters, but he's home now and relaxing with his newspaper. We're going to grill flank steak and have steak/blue cheese quesadillas, salad, and corn on the cob.

I really appreciate having Marc as the father of my children. He has always been very involved in their lives, whether it's changing diapers, feeding & bathing, taking them to the movies, reading to them, jumping on the trampoline, playing Nintendo, playing Pokemon card battles, going on walks, or making sure that they just have some quality time together doing whatever the kids want to do. He is always concerned about their safety, well-being, and happiness. He works hard to provide for his family and there is no question that he loves his kids a lot. I think they're lucky to have him as their dad.


I think I'm lucky to have the father I have. I've written before about how he always spent time with me as well. He never made me feel as though he was too busy for me. He gave me baths, read to me, taught me things, and took me places with him. He's the king of puns and bad jokes. He was always accessible. He is a hard worker and the biggest Sneelock I know! And now, he is an incredible grandpa. He shows his love for his grandchildren by getting to know them and spending time with them. He makes up silly games that the kids love. He taught Max how to ride a bike, took Lucas on endless walks, loves to hold Eva & Bella, and has limitless conversations with Miles. I love the way he loves my children -- it makes me love him even more.


I'm also lucky to have the father-in-law that I have. Marc's step-dad Bob is a wonderful man. He has always made me feel at ease and just as much a part of his family as anyone else. He is also a great grandpa, one who is very involved with his grandkids. He spends so much time with them, making jokes, singing songs, taking them places, really getting to know them. He has more energy than I do, and he's had two bypass surgeries! The kids definitely know that Grandpa Bob loves them. The grandchild-grandparent relationship is such a special one and I am so grateful that my children get to spend time with their grandparents frequently.

And then there's my grandpa. We call him "puddingheart" because he is so very tender-hearted. All it takes to get him teary-eyed is to have his family gathered together. He made me the world's best dollhouse when I was a little girl -- it was about as big as me! We joke that he could fix anything but a broken ear (or is it nose?) He's a patriarch and one of my life's regrets is that I got my patriarchal blessing before he was ordained... Grandma calls him the Energizer Bunny because he's such a hard worker it's hard to get him to rest. When he does though, I know he'll be sitting in his rocker with his little black poodle Tyrone on his lap. I'm thankful for every bit of time I've been able to spend with him and for the stories he's told me of his life.

Thank you to all the fathers in my life. This day is for you!

12 comments:

Diana said...

What beautiful tributes to the men in your life. Sounds like you are having a wonderful father's day.
By the way what is a Sneelock?

collette said...

What sweet pictures of the fathers in your life. I got teary reading about your grandpa.

Jill said...

You have so many great people in your life, you've really been blessed. It's great to have a day set aside to recognize Father's and you did a great job writing about them.

jt said...

I love this post, since I also love all of these men, and I think I will have to copy this format and do my own similar father's day post, if that's okay :)

jenny said...

What a sweet post. I love the one of your kids and husband. Too cute.

Jana said...

I enjoyed reading this. Isn't it wonderful to be related to such great people?

Amie said...

I love that you covered everyone. I wish I would have but I am to lazy.

I love all of the nice things you had to say about the men in your life. The picture of Mark and the kids is so cute!

Anonymous said...

I love all those men, too! What a great tribute. I'm impressed by the breakfast in bed treatment...you put me to shame!

Anonymous said...

You do have wonderful men in your life! I especially love the picture and all that you said about Grandpa. I had to show everyone at my work his picture! He is just so cute. I think I must have found "puddingheart II" for my husband because Pete is just like Grandpa in his tenderheartedness. (Maybe that is one of the things that drew me to him.) I like to say that Pete has a hard candy shell with a soft gooey center.

skbkmjfamily said...

You are an incredible writer. I think that trait must have been passed down the line. I am glad that you all enjoyed a wonderful fathers day, and why did I always think that you had four children...hmmm.

Anonymous said...

You are blessed by the men in your life, what great example they have set for you. I too got teary reading your comments about them.

amy gretchen said...

what a great tribute to the fathers in your life. You sure are lucky to have them. The photo of the kids and marc is really great.

I just love dads.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...