We heard many anecdotes about women who have had great impact – in some cases, by doing small and simple things.
- One man shared something his wife tells him occasionally: "We parent with faith, not out of fear." Definitely something I want to make a new motto!
- Another spoke of an older woman who befriended him when he was a boy, who went out of her way to be kind to him over the years and became a meaningful example and support in his life.
- Women have innate gifts to nurture, bless and minister.
- There is nothing more noble or beautiful than daughters of God applying the healing balm of the Savior.
- If you seek it, you will find your true identity.
- "Some Christians condemn Eve for her act, concluding that she and her daughters are somehow flawed by it. Not the Latter-day Saints! Informed by revelation, we celebrate Eve’s act and honor her wisdom and courage in the great episode called the Fall." - Dallin H. Oaks
As sisters in Zion, we'll all work together,
The blessings of God on our labors we'll seek:
We'll build up His kingdom with earnest endeavor;
We'll comfort the weary, and strengthen the weak.
The errand of angels is given to women;
And this is a gift that, as sisters, we claim;
To do whatsoever is gentle and human;
To cheer and to bless in humanity's name.
How vast are our labors; how broad is our mission,
If we but fulfill it in spirit and deed;
Oh! naught but the Spirit's divinest tuition—
Can give us the wisdom to truly succeed.
I always find it stirring to sing this hymn in a group of women. (I especially love the second verse.)
I am so glad that I know I am a daughter of God.
I am thankful for the sisterhood of strong, beautiful women that I enjoy – in my family, and in the church.
I am grateful to be a mother, to have the amazing opportunity to learn sacrifice, service, love, and to be refined by this experience.
Happy Mother's Day.