Sunday, February 13, 2011
1. Me wearing my wrist splint (I have to wear it to bed to even hope to get any sleep these days).
2. Sour cream banana bars with brown butter frosting for breakfast (recipe from Melanie) – I find these to be dangerously delicious.
3. I attended the worldwide leadership meeting from 9-11.
4. valentines in the mailbox
5. Eva finishing up her school valentines
6. Jill came for Creative Friday and brought Café Rio for lunch!
7. an array of glorious photos that she packaged up for birthday gifts
8. Jill writing cards and the last of the Christmas Cadbury chocolates
9. Max made ranger cookies and added toasted hazelnuts just to make them totally over the top amazing.
10. Max doing chemistry homework
11. a birthday card for a party Lucas attended
12. Marc and I had Chinese take-out for dinner (green bean chicken and sweet & sour pork).
What can I say? It was a great day for food.
The day ended on a sour note, however, as Lucas was late getting home from the party and just as Marc was going to find him, he walked into the house in tears. Apparently the boys were doing things that made him feel uncomfortable (e.g., making crank phone calls) and he wanted to leave. No one would let him borrow a cell phone to call, and he couldn't find the host parents (!). So he finally just walked home (in the dark and cold). He felt sick to his stomach – from anxiety, I'm sure. Marc drove right over and confronted the parents and the kids that were still there. I hope Lucas doesn't suffer too many repercussions at school tomorrow...
Sometimes it's just so hard to be a parent. I can't protect my children from disappointment, frustration, betrayal, hurt feelings, or sadness. But I often wish I could.