Monday, August 30, 2010

girls' week, part 1

I guess I wasn't clear in my post showing the boys flying home alone. Eva and I stayed an extra week to visit with Jessie and her girls (Timm was out of town for work).

The first thing I noticed when I walked in was the new piano that Jessie got for free on Craigslist. And her adorable decor on and above it. Now I want to do something similar with my piano.

When I'm at Jessie's house, my house feels utterly drab. Hers is brimming with cheerful color!

When Fiona would wake up, we would send the girls in to talk to her for awhile. Sometimes it wouldn't work, but sometimes they would end up playing and delaying our involvement, which is always a good thing. One day I found them all in her crib!

Jessie showed me this card that Bella made for Father's Day. Timm had to overlook the potential for insult. I thought it was totally hilarious.

These crepe myrtle trees are everywhere. The blooms come in white, purple, bright pink, and they are gorgeous. Such a treat to see flowering trees toward the end of summer! If only it wasn't so blasted hot and humid, I just can't handle that at all.

I also love this monkey grass that Jessie has as a border.

Jessie took one for the team and played the Barbie: Queen of the Prom board game with the girls. Twice!

Bella won. Eva was close behind and crushed and made me take a picture of her game piece with the necklace on it as well.

Jessie was reading The BFG to Bella and Eva wanted to listen in, even though she had missed most of the book. We then read George's Marvelous Medicine. Eva was really into it. I guess we need to start reading chapter books together.

We took all of the girls to Walmart to get our groceries for the week. For unknown reasons, Fiona felt the need to scream the whole time. Eva wanted Bella to ride in the cart with her, but Bella didn't want to. Then Eva arranged the groceries and drove Bella crazy because she wouldn't let her rearrange them.

This was Jessie's reaction when we finally made it back to the car.

We got a sleeping bag for Eva so the girls could have sleepovers in Jessie's room. We weren't sure how that would work, but they did pretty well and enjoyed themselves quite a bit. Jessie put the brown blanket over them as a Smeagel magnet (because they actually wanted him to sleep with them).

The next day, our cousin Emily flew in from Denver to join our girls' week.

We went to Penguin, a restaurant reputed to have the best burgers in the U.S. (according to Gourmet magazine, I think). We had to wait a little while for our table, but we were just happy to be inside!!

cool sign

We had to try the fried pickles, one of their specialties. Jessie and I liked them. Fiona ate off the breading.

This was Emily's reaction. Her first time trying pickles, too!

We got our burgers Southern-style (with chili and coleslaw). Emily was not a fan. Jessie and I liked them, but don't know that we could say with a surety that they're the best burgers in the country.

After lunch, we went to the used bookstore with Page the cat. Bella and Eva spent quite a bit of time looking for her, but didn't find her until right as we were leaving.

They were able to play with two kittens in the back room that are up for adoption. I practically had to drag them out of there!

We drove around looking at houses for sale. So many cute ones. I would love to live in this one – if it weren't for the climate. I'm a super wimp.

What with the girls arguing, crying, or just having fun very loudly, we feared we might scare Emily off of procreation altogether (not that she's ready for that yet).

Luckily, we had a great time after the little ones went to bed. We ate popcorn and m&ms or Rita's water ice and watched scary movies. Good times.

8 comments:

Miranda said...

Dang. I wish I had been there! Also, I can never get over how adorable Jessie's house is. Seriously.

Jill said...

I love Jessie's colorful decor!

That's a really sweet picture of Jessie reading to the girls.

Jessie looks way too cute to have survived Fiona's fits in Wal-Mart. Why do I always look so haggard when I'm bugged?

Emily's pickle face is hilarious!

I love that house and really love that it has fans on the porch.

Unknown said...

oh, i do hope you'll tell me when you come to charlotte again! it would be so fun to have a girl's outing :)

jenn said...

How fun!
I'm glad you could hang out with Jessie for a week- what a treat to have sister time!

Natasha said...

Fried pickles are Luci's favorite!

I love all of the color in Jessie's house too. Mine is drab in comparison as well.

Susan said...

I've been waiting for this one!

Good recap. Good times for sure.

shannon said...

I can't seem to move on from the first picture! I love love love love love Jessie's wall display! Your mom just sinked her good taste right into you girls, didn't she?! It never ceases to amaze me!
Green and blue are my current favorite color combos! I think the fabric inside the embroidry ring is sheer genius! What a clever and inexpensive way to pull your color scheme into a room!


Why do your pictures always look so glamourous? You even make m&m's and coke zero look like a work of art!

The cat sign is classic! I think I'm going to make a sign like that and change the name to Shannon!

I wasn't sure at first what was sitting on the wing back chair in the picture of Bella and Eva. At first glance, I thought it was a little piglet! I'm pretty sure it's one of Jesse's cats! I'm so intrigued by those guys!

Rita's makes everything better! What flavor did you have? My favorite is the swedish fish and the mango...

Rebekah said...

That display is to die for. Jessie has a great eye.

I love the naked cat poised in the back of the board game shot. I'm not sure if I could ever get used to seeing one of those around my house.

Wait, why does Jessie look so exhausted? Being a mom is super easy! I don't understand...Ha!

We had fried pickles in Dallas. They were surprisingly good! Who knew.

That house is charming, especially with those ceiling fans on the porch.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...