Thursday, April 15, 2010

books 2010 #9-15

The Heretic Queen The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This was an interesting read about Nefertiti's niece, Nefertari. She was a fascinating character, and the first 2/3 or so of the book was very compelling – I didn't want to put it down. I would have given it 4 stars up to that point, but it just wasn't as well-paced toward the end.



April & Oliver: A Novel April & Oliver: A Novel by Tess Callahan

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

April & Oliver is about – well, April and Oliver, two people who were raised as cousins but are not actually blood relatives. They have always been close, and there is a lot of sexual tension between them. April makes a mess out of her life, and Oliver wants to rescue her. I guess I found it all just a bit ho hum.

I listened to the audiobook version. While it definitely held my attention, I couldn't bring myself to really care about any of the characters – with the exception of their grandmother, who has quite a small role.



O Pioneers! O Pioneers! by Willa Cather

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I have discovered that I really like Cather. And while I definitely enjoyed O Pioneers, I just didn't love it as much as Song of the Lark.





Blindspot: A Novel Blindspot: A Novel by Jane Kamensky

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I enjoyed this historical fiction about pre-Revolutionary War America. I thoroughly enjoyed the characters, and I enjoyed the unraveling of the mystery. I only wish there hadn't been such a preponderance of unnecessary sex. For that reason, I'm not sure I can recommend it.



The Story of Edgar Sawtelle The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I loved this book! I really didn't know anything about it, I only knew that I had heard good things about it. I loved the character of Edgar. I found the dogs fascinating, especially his communication with them. I loved Almondine.

This book made me think. I couldn't get it out of my head, even after reading other books, and that's a beautiful thing.



Prayers for Sale Prayers for Sale by Sandra Dallas

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is the most I've liked a Sandra Dallas book since Diary of Mattie Spenser. Hennie is an old woman living in a Colorado mining town. She made a vow to befriend every woman that moves into town to try to help them overcome the loneliness she experienced as a young woman.

There is enough sadness in the first 30 pages to last a lifetime, but Hennie's experiences make her a strong woman indeed. I love her character and the friendships she forms. Quilting has a nice supporting role, as well.



The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Calpurnia is such a great character! I love strong girls and women in literature, and Calpurnia is inquisitive, strong-minded, and passionate. This book is also a wonderful example of the tremendous impact that grandparents can have on a child, her developing relationship with her grandfather was a complete joy to me.

"I was all to him, wasn't I? And he was all to me."

The section where she discovered that she was meant to be a wife and mother instead of a scientist was heartbreaking. She compares herself to a coyote with her paw caught in a trap. So sad. But the ending was oh so hopeful.

Beautifully written, beautiful book.

View all my reviews >>

5 comments:

Gail said...

Thanks for sharing your book reviews. I am a READER!! but I don't have a lot of bookish people in my life, so reviews by other book reading people are a blessing. Particularly if the review contains information about how much sex and foul language can be expected. It really help me find new books and re-visit some I have loved and forgotten about.

P.S. I wish books had a rating system like movies.

Jill said...

I find 3 out of 5 star kind of books so disappointing. I suppose their existence makes the 4 and 5 star books that much greater, but I really wish the ratios were reversed.

jenn said...

I'm always amazed at how many books you read and the variety of books. I just borrowed Calpurnia Tate from Jill and am quite excited!

Paula said...

LOVE your "paris colors" book and your flowers - I can tell you are your mother's daughter!

Rebekah said...

I really love Willa Cather. Such an interesting lady.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...