Saturday, February 20, 2010

crafting with Kristen

Today I taught my niece how to do the coptic bookbinding that Amy H. taught me to do a couple of years ago. I hadn't done it for awhile, so I had to do a little decoding with the instructions, but it eventually came back to me.

As part of my Christmas gift to Kristen, I promised her a bookbinding lesson, and it coincided nicely with a school project she is doing on the Middle Ages (they had to learn an old trade).

Tools I had gathered, ready and waiting for her arrival. These things make my heart go pitter pat.

I had a selection of papers for her to choose from, and she went with these adorable green and blue prints -- LOVE. She has always had an eye for color and style.


nearing the end of the stitching

The finished book! It was fun and her book turned out so cute, it kind of makes me want to make more. If only I didn't have so many sedentary pursuits...

Grandma came along for the visit and Eva monopolized her the whole time they were here. Grandma didn't seem to mind too much, and she even treated us all to Cafe Rio for lunch!

I took this picture of the cool book cover bracelet that one of Michelle's friends gave her for her birthday. Some of the charms you can't see include To Kill a Mockingbird and one that says "I Read Banned Books." How cool is this? She found out that her friend bought it at the Salt Lake Library. I think it's a brilliant idea, and I'm thinking that surely some of you talented ladies could figure out how to make one.

Today's recap: deep cleaned a bathroom, bookbinding, Cafe Rio, baked bread, worked on my Primary lesson, took a cat nap, gave Eva a bath, tried a new recipe for dinner, watched 2 episodes of Project Runway with the boys. That's my kind of Saturday.

The only downside: Max is sick again. Fever and a cold, out of nowhere. Seriously.

10 comments:

Miranda said...

(I'm sorry to hear about your dad's mom.)

Oh! I need to make those books. No like, NEED. I got a couple of books about making books for Christmas and I still haven't done anything with them. I'm coming over.

Jill said...

What a cool Christmas present for Kristen!

Your photo of your supplies waiting to be used is oh so pleasing to me too!

Michelle's bracelet is very cool!

I can't believe Max is sick again! Seriously.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Oh, I'm sorry for your dad, too. And you . . . my condolences.

Your kind of Saturday is my kind of Saturday.

Michelle said...

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! Kristen has been carrying the book everywhere since she created it. She is quite smitten. We will have to acquire all of the necessary equipment so she can make more!

Natasha said...

That bracelet IS cool! Someone needsto make them and get them on Etsy!

Sickness again at your house? I'm telling you, a trip to the immunologist gave me my life back. (Well,Griffin's, but it sure did help me out too.)

Amy said...

That sounds like about the perfect Saturday. I'm glad your niece liked bookbinding! I haven't made a book since I broke my arm last year--almost a year ago. I'm going to have to do something about that!

Melinda said...

Seriously, your talents are endless. I am convinced there is nothing you cannot do and you do it all soo well. Your today's recap proved it. Seriously, you are one of the most talented people I know and yea, I am jealous.

Kelly said...

You are a cool aunt! I have great memories of a favorite aunt who did and taught us neat stuff. I think that's a great gift you gave to Kristen.

That bracelet is fabulous! And thanks for the reminder that I have a Project Runway episode waiting for me on my DVR. It's been all Olympics all the time around here, and I've forgotten about other shows.

Sorry that Max is sick. Really.

Tasha said...

I love that bracelet!

Rebekah said...

I really love her knitted headband.

Is there an end to the talents of your collective family members? Honestly.

For some reason I'm very smitten with the tiny book cover images. I need to figure out something to do along similar lines...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...