Wednesday, November 25, 2009

flea marketing with Mom!


My parents arrived on Saturday morning. Within an hour of their arrival, we headed off to the flea market -- red-eye flight and fatigue be damned! The flea market must be visited, and this was our only chance, as many of the vendors start packing up their wares by noon.

Mom flipping through a stack of beautiful furniture engravings.

I was taken with this box of old spools.

Mom loved these chairs that had been painted, fabric and all! She did the same thing to a pair of chairs for her store windows.

More items for Denise's costume vault!

I love old photos, and love that here they are organized by subject.

Mom shopping at our new favorite stall! She did some serious damage here, which only makes my dream of owning it all and even more distant dream.

Check out these bolts of pink taffeta ribbon!

Of course, we visited the button man, purveyor of fine buttons, speaker of many languages, and giver of deals.

The only thing I bought that day was a couple of old linen tea towels with red stripes. I've decided I want a collection of them.

On Sunday, we strolled around a market that had temporarily set up shop right on our street, so convenient!

Love at first sight. If only I could bring home a piece of furniture... I'm totally going to paint something like this. Someday.

Adding some numbers elevates this from cute to covetous. A good trick to remember!

No flea market is complete without a whole slew of dogs. Eva loved seeing this one in a sweater.

A vendor keeping watch with his dog. What could be more French?

There were some real temptations for dish-loving people like my mother and myself.

Check out this display! Somehow I think the symmetry would be more pleasing if it didn't involve fur stoles with heads and feet...

This array of blues and greens is so happy to my eye.

flea market self-portrait #1

One of these old issues of Le Monde had fallen from a table and been trampled on the wet ground. It's rather poignant, n'est-ce pas?

still life with skates and engravings

flea market self-portrait #2

And now for the best find of the day:

A box filled with correspondence, all addressed to the same couple. Mom bought several of these, and I am filled with buyer's remorse (you know, the kind where you wish you had bought something).

But at least I now have two new favorite photos...

7 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Sounds like you started your time with your parents off right! Love the letters. We have a grouping like this of my own grandparents correspondence during the war.

Amanda said...

What a perfect visit to the flea market! That box of correspondence is divine...what will your mom do with it? Store window display?

Lovely picture of the blue and green book spines. So pleasing.

Enjoy them and have a great holiday!

Bond Girl 007 said...

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! oh my, now my fingers and my arm are bothering me, and have a brief moment at the computer.....but OHHHH la la........I jjust love thelast two photos sooooo much....look at that lettre! I never learned cursive...I tought it myself...wished I had the disciplined instilled in school..............!!!!

Jill said...

Hooray for a new post from you, your posts and comments have been lacking this week (understandable with your parents there of course) and I've missed you!

These photos are gorgeous! Those letters give me pain in such a good way!

I love, love, love the red, numbered furniture, it should be mine!

I'm loving your new trend of mirrored self-portraits, very cool.

April said...

Oh those letters...I am filled with curiosity about their insides, the life, the daily comings and goings, the weather on the day they were written, the sorrows they bore, the joys they shared. I am nearly undone with thought of it.

Rebekah said...

Someone has to buy all of those letters! They shouldn't be split up!

These photos are too picturesque. It's almost like each little scene has been set-up specifically to be endearing.

Kelly said...

Those letters! I would have to learn French so I could read them. They turned into lovely photos. What a fun day with your mom! I am a sucker for symmetry myself, but I also think I could pass up dead animal symmetry! Reminds me a bit of the hoof knife! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...