Tuesday, September 15, 2009

new to us

Today I took Max to rent a cello. We had originally planned to bring his, but we ended up leaving it at home due to various concerns about the feasibility of getting it here unharmed.

I was secretly hoping that Marc would take care of this errand, but it was obvious that he was too busy with his Study Abroad duties. So. I found three potential music stores online, and called them all to find out if they even had cellos available to rent. You should know that I hate talking on the phone in French. It's too much pressure. (On the other hand, if it's a stranger, at least they can't see me and mock me in person, right?) I was proud of myself for taking this on.

I narrowed the three down to the most likely contender, and we found it with no problem. However, the woman at the counter told me that they don't have any more full-size cellos in right now. (Keep in mind I had just called to verify this very thing right before leaving the apartment.) Apparently, all of their used cellos are currently being rented and they only rent new cellos in very special circumstances. She told me to call back in a week or two.

I turned to break the news to Max, as I knew he would have trouble following all of that. I thought he would be crushed, but instead he was just so excited to see this:

a 7-stringed viol (?)

Personally, I was more taken with the black cellos -- I've never seen those before.

We started to walk back to the Metro, and I noticed that the cross-street was where one of the other music stores was located. We decided to walk a little ways to see if we could find it. As we walked, we realized that many of the stores in the area were music stores of one kind or another, and that many people were walking around with instruments. Who knew there was a quartier musique?

Very soon we stumbled upon one of the other stores I had called. They have full-size cellos, no problem. Their monthly rental is less than half what the other store was charging! But. (Why is there always a but in France?) They require proof of your address, which the nice man helping me was willing to waive, since I don't have that. They also require a 500 euro deposit (roughly $750). You can't put it on a credit card, either. It needs to be in the form of a French check, issued to the same person who is renting the instrument. Riiiiight.

We came home empty-handed.

But we did see these on the way:

Does anyone know what this three-necked instrument could be? And how many hands are required to play it??

This engraving of bows was displayed in a store window. I was quite taken with it.

Hopefully we will be able to come up with a cello solution for Max. For today, at least we got to see a part of Paris that was new to us.

14 comments:

Jill said...

I love the black cellos!

I think it's seriously impressive that you're able to speak French so well considering that you don't use it in-between stays in Paris.

Good luck finding a cello for Max! Good grief $750!!

Natasha said...

We bought Luci a new violin over the summer - she is finally moving up from a quarter to a half size. Since Luci takes lessons at her school, her 1st lesson with the new violin wasn't until yesterday. We proudly showed the new investment to the violin teacer, who proceeded to tell Luci that it was "rather crummy." If I was Luci's age that would've broken me but Luci jkust shrugged her off and later confided to me that Ms. Carol surely must be wierd if she thinks the violin is crummy!

Sorry you had to walk home empty handed but at least the trip made for nice pics!

crystal said...

Hmmm. I totally thought that was an engraving of curling irons.

I'm an idiot.

patsy said...

I too am impressed with your French- wow.

$750- dang that is a lot & who knows if you would really get it back....? Am I being pessimistic?

I love the photos here.

thanks for sharing :)

Rebekah said...

I would be afraid to do this in English. I hate making inquiries.

jenn said...

I love the thought of a music district! And the different instruments are really amazing! I hope you find a solution for Max but am glad you found such a unique part of the city.

Kim Sue said...

Well phoey! This made me wonder if max speaks some French?

April said...

I hate calling on the phone and asking questions in English. Did you tell yourself that you are amazing when it was all over?

I loved the "but" comment about Paris. I will have to share that with my daughter who thinks she loves Paris but hates to be inconvenienced in ANY way.

Bond Girl 007 said...

I am still laughing at crystal's comment.......oh la la ....delight to the eye for sure, eventhough I am pianist, I can appreciate all kinds of instruments, and that 3 way guitar??? it is amazing. I love the black cellos too!

Bond Girl 007 said...

Oh thank you soo much for the little gift you left for moi before your bon voyage! I loved it. Merci

Marie said...

Why does shopping for cellos in Paris sound so old-world romantic and wonderful? Sigh. Did you do it while munching on a little baguette?

Esther said...

I love discovering new places by accident, it gives you another perspective of the city. I am sure that you'll be visiting those quarters more often.

Thank you for sharing another one of your adventures with us.

PS $750.00 is a bit stee...yicks.

Robyn said...

What an interesting excursion. Don't you love how things are done in such a unique way in foreign countries?! (I was trying not to use the words difficult, inconvenient, or nonsensical). Argh for you! I hope you get it worked out soon. Made for an entertaining story anyway...

shannon said...

A music district? I don't even think New York City has one of these!

The black cellos are gorgeous!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...