Monday, September 14, 2009

high excitement

Last night, we spent a lot of time looking out the windows. Three fire trucks pulled up across the street. We couldn't see what was happening at first, and then we could see (and smell) that there was a fire in an apartment across the street.

I've never seen firefighters in action before -- running, in full gear; unwinding the hoses; climbing the ladders. Black smoke was pouring out of a window. The brand new grocery store below was apparently affected as well.

We weren't the only spectators. The boys didn't tear themselves away to go to bed until after midnight. I went to bed around 1:00, but couldn't sleep until 3:30 (probably a combination of being wired and taking Excedrin for a headache). Oh, and it was noisy when they retracted the ladder around 2:30.

I couldn't stop wondering whose apartment it was, what the damage was. Were they home? Did they have to evacuate late at night? Were all the neighbors scared the fire would spread to their homes, too? What did they lose? Can you imagine the smell? I had recurrent childhood nightmares about fire, and I just felt sick for those people.

This morning, the grocery store didn't open, and there is a pile of burned rubbish out by the curb. I've watched dozens of people walk by and wonder why it is closed.

14 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

That picture looks like it's from a movie set, Michelle. Did you know you had movie-making photography skills?

I always wish to know the "How, why, what, if" things too.

I think your labels at the bottom are especially funny....voyeurism, scary.

Amy said...

Is it too callous to say, Well there goes your convenience? Of course it is. How scary for the residents of the building and especially the apartment. I can relate to the fire fear. I saw a house burn down in our neighborhood when I was little. Very scary, indeed. And I repeatedly have to reassure my kids that our house is not going to burn down. The fear of fire is strong around here.

Oh, and I hope your head feels better today.

Jill said...

How exciting and sad really! How did Eva fair with all the noise and terror of it? This seems like something that would push her into a nightmare-filled panic.

Natasha said...

That IS scary!

Kim's house burned to the ground when she was in grade school and they lost everything. I think that's the kind of experience that you never get over.

Barb said...

That is a lot of excitement for a Sunday night. I've never seen firefighters in action either.

patsy said...

Oh man- not good, although exciting...
I hope tonight is better!

I agree with jane- these photos look like a movie set.
I look forward to your posts everyday :)

emily said...

I love the "views from your window" posts. It makes me think of "My Name is Asher Lev" or "Rear Window." Very interesting.

And fire is one of the scariest things I can imagine happening to my home. I hope that your neighbors are okay.

April said...

I agree with Emily...you could write a whole book from that window.

Esther said...

This is a sad event indeed. Living in California and near one of the most fire hazardous zones, I can relate. We've been evacuted and watched homes burn down...here in California its just a way of life. I hope that your convenience store is restore soon...bummer.

jenn said...

Sad. Scary. Fascinating.

I had a recurring dream as a kid about our house burning down- I can't imagine coping with that in real life.

amy gretchen said...

Pretty scary, but fascinated. I've never been so close to the action either.

I find myself wondering those same things when stuff like that happens. Sometimes I'll drive by a house and wonder what's going on on the inside.

crystal said...

I hate to crack up at the end of a post that is serious in tone, but the labels on this post were hilarious! They, in of themselves, could tell quite a story! "Paris" & "scary" are a good fit together....so are "Paris" & "voyeurism," or "scary" & "voyeurism".....

Rebekah said...

These things are so exciting! Two firetrucks and an ambulance showed up at the apartments across the alley from my bedroom window last months. They unrolled all of their hoses, took out their ladders, and put on all of their gear even though it was obvious that nothing serious was happening. I stayed up watching and enjoyed the show very much!

shannon said...

One thing I always used to worry about when we lived in an apartment was a fire...with so many people living so close together, there was always a possilbity of that...

I can't imagine losing all of my belongings to a fire...I'm so paranoid about this ever happening to us...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...