Thursday, July 31, 2008

trip to Oregon -- Depoe Bay

On Tuesday we went to Depoe Bay, just about 10 miles from our home base, where we booked a whale-watching tour and walked around the cute town, watching the surf crash onto the rocks and touring a whale information center.



Michelle's family, Max, Mim, and I went on the boat. When we went to the OR coast in 2000, we went whale-watching, but we never saw anything. The captain of the boat told us that a whale had been sighted in the bay an hour before, so we had high hopes.

It did not disappoint! We saw two different whales -- a whole lot of spouting, some views of their backs and bodies, and even some tail glimpses. The first mate said that one whale was doing shark impersonations, because he kept putting up only half of his tail. I was amazed by how close the whales got to shore, in waters so shallow they couldn't dive as they normally do and instead would go in sideways to feed. I had never seen a whale, so I was just thrilled. Whenever anyone would see a spout or another part of a whale, they would point and shout excitedly and everyone else would look where they were pointing. I couldn't help wonder if the whales had any idea we were tracking them. What would they think if they knew how excited we all were to see them?

Kristen in particular was just giddy with excitement. I had never seen her so happy, or heard her laugh so much as I did on that boat! That would have made it worthwhile, even if we hadn't seen any whales, it was so cute.

Our first mate, James, was just smoking hot, so that didn't make the voyage any worse... normally I don't even look at other men, that phase is so far in my past, but I just couldn't help myself this time. Wow. He reminded me of Vaughn on Alias. You can't really tell from this faraway photo, but... seriously. Smokin'.

Bob W. had stayed behind and done some shopping because he gets terribly seasick (the reason Lucas decided not to go -- good call). He told us that Marc and Lucas and Eva had gone to lunch and the candy shop and back to the condo. We decided to do the same and went to a restaurant that some of MimBob's friends had recommended (the Sea Hag, in case you're ever in Depoe Bay). We all had clam chowder, except for Max, who ordered cod parmesan with fries and garlic bread. He LOVED it, and told us about 10 times that it was the best lunch he had ever had in his life. The clam chowder was very good as well. Then we went next door to the candy shop, where we got about 20 different kinds of salt water taffy, fudge, and English toffee. Max told us on the way home that it had been a wonderful day.

When we got back, I took the kids to the beach and it was actually warm! No sweatshirts needed, it wasn't windy, and the sand was even warm on our feet. It was a nice change of pace, and the kids had a blast.

Bob & Mim had some friends visiting (the owners of the house at Black Butte), and all the adults went out to dinner.

the view in front of the restaurant

Michelle spotted 3 raccoons right out in front! When I approached to take a picture, they hid in the bushes, but this one emerged to take a peek.

It's always nice to have a chance to just be adults, not parents.

Max was in charge of Eva and all the kids had fun together. Our dinner was early, so we thought we'd come back and put Eva to bed, but she was already asleep when we got here! Sweet mercy.

The adults played Faces. If you haven't played that game, you should try it out. It's fun for kids and adults alike.

I even caught the sunset on the beach! What could be better?

I didn't prepare one meal that day, or do any dishes or laundry. I ate a lot of good food and had a lot of fun. I was pleasantly tired, but not exhausted, and I could hear the sound of the crashing waves. Max was right, it really was a wonderful day!

12 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I love reading about the beach through your eyes, Michelle. It reminds me of when you took us through Paris. I feel so well-traveled via you :)

Clam chowder, candy shop, whales, beautiful sunset, crashing waves, Eva zonked on her own, dinner out? Max definitely pegged it right.

Jill said...

How funny that you now have a blog title called "Hot Guy".

These outings sound so wonderful and your pictures are lovely. I want to go on a trip like this so badly!!

Unknown said...

Oh the Sea Hag! We LOVED that restaurant when we visited the Oregon Coast last spring.

I am enjoying these pics and commentary Michelle. Brings back the wonderful memories we made on our family trip there. :)

Unknown said...

bliss!

denise @ little ant design said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip - such beautiful pictures. I'm a Vaughn fan too - loved the show and love Michael Vartan.

Bond Girl 007 said...

oh my goodness look at that racoon...sooo cute! I love love love all the photos and the adult conversations aren't those the best...when you don't have to be distracted by you know you? I think the ocean is just breathtaking, weather it is cold or hot....there is just something magical about it!

Natasha said...

I'd say that was a perfect day! The view of the water from the restaurant looks amazing!!

patsy said...

Oh my goodness- I am loving this trip! We were planning a whale watching trip in seattle this summer.... long story.

what a great day! I'm so glad you are sharing it with us

Tasha said...

That sounds like a dream day! Coming home to a kiddo asleep is always a bonus too!

Amie said...

I love the pictures! I think this is such an awesome trip to get to take with your family.

Marie said...

"Wonderfully tired, but not exhausted" That is how you know you've had a perfect day!

And your picture of a racoon brings me such a smile, and I can't even explain why!

crystal said...

At first I thought James-the-hot-boat-guy was the guy ON the boat in your photo.

I was seriously puzzled.

I doubted your ability to judge physical aesthetics.

Then I saw the other guy in the photo. Grrrarrw.

I love your photos! (and not just the ones with hot guys in them)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...