Thursday, May 29, 2008

tidbits

I've had a nasty cold since Monday. These have been my best friends this week:

Marc went and got me the Zicam on Tuesday night because I was having trouble sleeping. If you haven't tried it, you should -- instant relief from congestion, I can breathe again in seconds -- it's a miracle!

Thanks for all the encouraging comments on my last post. Crystal and Claudia had me laughing out loud this morning. I had to make myself stop, because it was sending me into coughing fits. So thanks for the boost.

In other news...

A few days ago I was doing laundry and heard Jack barking his head off. I looked out the window and saw that he had cornered something in a bush. I went out to see what he had, only to find that he had trapped a dragonfly. That's our dog -- the dragonfly hunter. And when the dragonfly flapped its wings? Jack jumped back about 4 feet. Yep, he's our scaredy dog.

Max bought a yearbook this week. I mentioned to Marc that I couldn't even remember having a yearbook in 7th grade, and that I thought it was a bit silly to pay $30 for that. He said that if Max likes junior high enough to want to remember it by buying a yearbook, we should consider ourselves lucky. It's always good to get a good shot of perspective.

I woke up this morning at 5:00 to a veritable symphony of birds. I don't have anything against birds, I enjoy birdsong as much as the next person, but not at 5:00 a.m. Eva woke up as well. Curse you, Marc Olivier, for hating fans! If I could have a fan in my bedroom, I could be nice and cool in addition to avoiding early morning birdcalls!

Today was the dance festival at Lucas's school. After reading Jill's comments about being emotional at theirs, I searched my feelings for something -- anything. Nope. Nothing!

The setup was terrible, I couldn't see Lucas when it was the 3rd grade's turn, and I couldn't get anywhere with a better vantage point. I guess the kids were having fun. I did get a good laugh over the 4th graders' square dance: they all looked like they wanted to avoid their partners. When they were supposed to swing each other round, they kept their arms to themselves and just walked. And the partnerships were all messed up, it was complete chaos.

As we were walking to the car, Eva glimpsed the nearby playground and wanted to stop. As I had no immediate plans, I had to say yes.

Apparently she has forgotten that she used to go down any and all slides, because now she is too scared and will only go down the baby slide that is so small and so slow she has to push herself down! She kept complaining about the wind, which I was thoroughly enjoying because it was keeping me cool.

We came home for lunch and a nap. I still feel sick, but at least I showered, got dressed, and put makeup on today! That's progress.

14 comments:

Amy said...

Who wouldn't make friends with such a cute box of tissue? It would be a pleasure to have a runny nose if I had a cute box like that at my side. . .almost.

Wow, sick, a dance festival and the playground. You better earn some major mom points today with your kids!

crystal said...

You've resorted to snorting Zicam, eh? I'm worried.

Rachel said...

I have to agree the set up was terrible! I caught a glimpse of you across the field, but it was a nightmare to try to move anywhere. The kids were cute, though.

Love the shadow picture.

Preston is dying to get a year book, because he had a girl friend this year who won't be here next year and wants a picture of her. Nuts.

Hope you are feeling better, Michelle. This is no time of year to be under the weather.

Holly said...

At 5:00 am the birds would be way underappreciated for sure.

When I have congestion I still follow the Granny approach of slathering on Vicks VapoRub. Nice.

Shadow pictures make me so happy.

Glad you felt well enough to get out today!

patsy said...

What is it with illness going around. It seems 1/2 of everyone I know is sick with the cold or flu... I hope it goes away soon!
The dance festival thing sounds like a big undertaking- is this a WHOLE school at once kind of thing? hmmm ya, that would be a load of people.
A year book in seventh grade- of course! I have mine -- it was all the rage & you cannot be cool with out one.
I can't wait to hear your reaction to all the "fun" signings you'll get to read. I'm on my 4th jr higher- they are hilarious- you'll love it.

Jill said...

I'm glad Marc found you a miraculous nose spray, congestion is awful (whether it be nostril or traffic).

It's too bad your dance festival was a bust, I seriously loved ours.

Congrats on showering today!

Marie said...

I've got a nasty cold right now too. I feel your pain.

I had a dog growing up who hunted grasshoppers. Yup.

I hope you are feeling any colour but blue.

rmt said...

I hope that you are feeling better. I hate colds.

Thanks for the Zicam tip; I will definitely be trying that next time I get sick!

You are amazing to still get up and get ready do all of those mom things. That's hard to do when you're sick, so kudos to you!

Barb said...

I wonder if Zicam is available in Canada?
Our school doesn't have a dance festival, I'll have to tell Steven how lucky he is - he'd hate it!
I love the shot of perspective on the yearbook.
Chloe was probably ready to learn to ride a 2-wheeler at the end of last summer, but we didn't take off the training wheels and now this summer she's completely timid on her bike even with the training wheels. 8 or 9 months is a long time in childhood.

Cecilia said...

I hope you're feeling better!

You're a great MOM and should get the "super mom" award for doing all those things this week.

Amy said...

I hope you're feeling better today! That kind of nagging, but not flat out sick is the biggest pain.

I got your insanely cute good mail today...and knowing you from your blog, I'm sure you made those tags. Thank you so, so for such goodness & well-wishes!

Robyn said...

Thanks for sharing Marc's moment of perspective on junior high. What a good dad. I think I have burned all of my junior high year books if that tells you anything....

Ok, what is with Eva in another amazing shirt? I need to get her stylist's phone number. I want to dress my girls like that!

Bond Girl 007 said...

oh my it is soo sad to be feeling sick. Hope you feel better, and that all the blueness goes away!

Amie said...

Since I am so late I hope you are feeling much better...

I love the shadow sp of you and Eva.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...