Monday, April 28, 2008

birthday banner tutorial

This project is so easy, it doesn't really require a tutorial -- but I thought a step-by-step tutorial would be fun, so I did it anyway!

First I folded the fabrics in half and cut them into 8" widths. (I bought 1/2 yard of each fabric and got 4 or 5 "pennants" out of each one.) For each segment, you need two layers of fabric that are 11" long and 8" wide. Of course, these are just my random measurements, you could change them to suit your taste.

Next, I angled my ruler from one of the bottom corners up to the midpoint (4") of the top and cut. Then I made a matching cut on the other side, to end up with:

8" wide at the bottom, 11" high, and angled up to the 4" midpoint.

Put right sides together and sew a 1/4" seam down each side. Each segment will then look like this:

Trim off the point, just below the place where the two stitching lines cross, and trim the seam allowances up about two inches on each side to make it easier to turn right side out and get a nice point:

Turn right side out. I used my scissors to poke the points all the way out.

Press well.


I used pre-fab quilt binding because it is SO easy and it comes in lots of cute colors!


Just open it up and slide each segment of your banner into the fold, then top stitch all the way along the binding. VoilĂ !

I'm totally excited about my birthday banner -- it is a new tradition for us now, it's reusable indefinitely, and because I bought many of the fabrics in San Francisco, it is also a nice remembrance of our trip! Let me know if you make a banner of your own.

25 comments:

Jill said...

Congrats on finishing your project and on enjoying it so much, that has got to be satisfying. I think it's cool that you bought the fabrics on your SF trip and that that adds meaning to it for you.

Tasha said...

That is making my head spin with ideas! I got a bunch of fun fat quarters I didn't have a plan for and Ihave two summer birthdays! Stella is June 1 and Evie is July 13! Thanks! I am totally doing that!

Amy said...

This is so cute, you need to sell them! Thanks for the tute!

Anonymous said...

Oh my! When I saw your stack of fabric I had no vision! This is fantastic- I am sooo making one of those. How could I not now, after that easy look tutorial!

Unknown said...

beautiful.

i love a good tutorial from michelle!

rebecca said...

That is so cute!

Elisa said...

Oh Michelle, THANK YOU! I think I could handle this project and I am so so so bad at sewing. It takes so much patience to teach me I fell bad asking for help...anyway I think I just might try to make these!

Quelly said...

I love it! I have a MILLION other projects I need to finish but I may have to sneak this one to the top of the list - what a fun way to use my fabric remnants.

Thanks for the tutorial - I need pictures...

carlo said...

oh my goodness is that FANTASTIC>

it is just too happy! I love, love, love it!!

it makes me smile just to see it.

thanks for the tutorial. it may seem easy but to a novice like myself, it is so helpful!

wahoo.

carlo said...

ps- you totally made my day brighter with the pics and the tutorial.

and my week has not started off well so i appreciate a bright spot in my day.

April said...

I'm totally doing this! We desperately need a birthday tradition around here. I love the randomness and gorgeousness of your fabrics. Someday I would love to be in a quilt store with you.

rmt said...

cute, cute, cute!!!

patsy said...

Great project & great tutorial- thanks for sharing!

Robyn said...

Thanks for sharing the info on the birthday banner. It's so adorable, I definitely would love to make one.

Liz said...

Oh I love it!! How many pennants did you end up making? And are you going to spell out Happy Birthday on it?

Kirsten said...

This is really nice!

Anonymous said...

Pretty damn cute! Now I can't wait for the birthday post, including the banner!

Jamie said...

Hi, I found your blog via Robyn's. This banner is such a great idea! Thanks for the great, detailed tutorial because when it comes to sewing, I need all the help I can get.
Thanks for sharing your creativity! =D

annalisa said...

It's at times like these I wish I had the desire to sew. But don't worry, that desire soon fades with the thought of actually sewing :).
What a cute banner though. And I loved your Martha Stewart picture wall. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Amanda said...

I have seen these and loved them...! You chose great fabrics. Congrats on finishing a project!

jenny said...

Darling! If and when I ever get motivated (after moving) I will have to try that.

Amy said...

I LOVE THIS! Thank you for posting the "how to" details. Now can you come help me shop for such a great smattering of different fabrics???

crystal said...

I can't wait to make one of these! Now THIS is something I could sew. My sister-in-law's shop sells these for quite a lot of money and I can't quite stomach buying one. Thanks for the tutorial!

Hope you had fun at Women's Conference and the Blog Party. I wasn't able to go...hope it was a blast.

(remember...I found you through Jill)

Marie said...

yes, this absolutely requires a tutorial. It looks fabulous! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I finally made one of these this weekend. Now I want to make a bunch more...so easy and quick. Very satisfying project!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...