Tuesday, February 13, 2007

tagged by angie & annalisa

OK, I had to think awhile about 6 unusual things about me. I thought I had pretty much covered it in my 100 list, but once the ideas started coming, of course I had more than 6!

1. I am a hair twister, and have been for as long as I can remember. My mom tried to stop me when I was little, but to no avail. I enjoy twirling it, and I also tie it in knots. Sometimes a tiny knot will form that I can't undo, so I pull it out, with a few strands of hair attached. Then I twist THAT hair into knots. Sometimes at night I twirl little sections all over my head until they twist up into what my kids call my antennae. Yeah, pretty weird.

2. One of my pet peeves is open cupboards, drawers, closets, etc. I can't stand it! Too bad Marc doesn't share my passion for closing everything. He opens a cupboard to get out a glass and leaves it ajar, leaves the drawer open after putting toothpaste on his toothbrush...

3. I don't really have a problem with spiders, which is good news, since we occasionally have black widows in our basement! (I found out it's because our neighborhood used to be an orchard, which black widows love.) But I absolutely detest earwigs and "-pedes" of all kinds.

4. I sucked my thumb for a VERY long time. (My mom tried to get me to quit that too.) Marc came home from his movie group the other night and told me I was curled up in bed sucking my thumb! So embarrassing...

5. I love singing. It's one of my most favorite things in life. Yet, I rarely sing anymore. My mother is a wonderful singer and I used to wonder why she never really sang anymore, I thought it was so sad. Now I'm in the same boat, and I'm not really sure why except that I don't have a lot of opportunities anymore. (That doesn't explain why I don't even sing in the shower now, though!)

6. I hardly ever feel afraid. When our book club got together the other night, we talked a little about this, and it's been on my mind ever since. It's a happy discovery for me, since I was plagued with recurring nightmares growing up and used to be terrified of fire. I was also terrified of being kidnapped. I once woke up in the night (I was about 11 or 12) and saw something on the screen of my window. I was convinced it was a burglar's hand in a baseball glove. I laid there, too scared to move, for a long time. Then I finally decided I was going to get up and confront that damn glove, only to discover it was a cat! (My bedroom was on the second floor, so that possibility never entered my mind.) I was absolutely furious and pushed the cat off. Now the only time I ever really feel afraid is when I am somewhere high and there is a chance of falling -- driving up a mountain canyon with a big drop-off definitely scares me.

Sorry, but I had to add a number 7!

7. I have one brother and one sister. We are spaced 6 and 4 years apart. I didn't really enjoy that growing up because I didn't have much of a relationship with them until we were much older. I swore I would not have similar spacing in my own children. In fact, it was almost a phobia with me. So what happened? Max and Lucas are 4 years apart. Lucas and Eva are 6 years apart. You just never know.

I'm working on a separate post about things that make me happy!

18 comments:

carlo said...

Michelle- loved to read your tag list. Can't wait to see the 6 happy things!

Jill said...

How funny that you went from not being able to think of anything to having to add an extra one! I didn't know you were a thumb sucker, how funny that you Marc found you like that last week! He must have known you were in a bad way right?

Anonymous said...

I laughed about the thumb sucking thing- Linc would have loved telling me that! I am the same way about cupboards and drawers.

stefanie said...

I love these kinds of posts because it gives me the opportunity to get to know my fellow bloggers a little more. My husband doesn't do well with closing things either... makes me crazy!

Anonymous said...

I understand the thumb sucking thing and wish sometimes that my thumb would still fit in my mouth, braces changed that. I also can't stand open cupboard and have taken the doors off where my dishes are. It drives my crazy when Matt cooks because he'll have ALL the cupboards open, I'm a little nutso.

annalisa said...

I can relate to the hair and the cupboards. The thumb cracks me up :). Isn't it funny with your kids, what you say you will never do is sometimes exactly what you get.

jenny said...

I am like you and things don't normally frighten me maybe because I am alone at night alot. I sucked my two fingers until I got a thumb bar in my mouth (I was 12) embarrasing!

I too have one brother and one sister we are 5 and 7 years apart. I said the same thing as you did about my kids. Mine are 2.5 years,then 3.5 years and then 21 months YIKES! Love the tagged list, I just did my happy one tonight.

Elisa said...

I am a hair twister too! Sometimes I wonder what it looks like to others to see a middle aged women with kids twisting her hair (I also brush it back and forth on my upper lip).

I also hate open cupboards and drawers. It has been one of my pet peeves with my hubby too. He thinks I am a cupbard slammer and I think he is a lazy shutter.

Crystalyn said...

you made me laugh with this one. i don't like having things open either. makes me crazy! my girlfriend's little girl does this with her hair too!

Robyn said...

It's so funny that you mentioned the drawers b/c I was just thinking of that today. My husband ALWAYS leaves the cabinets and drawers open, every time. KILLS me . Why must they do that to us?

How interesting that your children are spaced the same- six and four. Crazy.

everything pink! said...

Happy Valentines Day!!

Crystalyn said...

Happy Valentine's Day Michelle!

Liz said...

Fun list to read! My sister does the same thing with her hair, she's curly haired like you. My daughter sucks her thumb, on our ultrasound she was sucking her thumb, she's 7 now, and still does it at night. Once a thumb sucker always a thumb sucker I guess. :)

Happy Valentine's Day!!

amy gretchen said...

Love reading this post. It's fun to learn these things about you. So cute that you were a thumb sucker. I love thinking you twirl your hair...I use to do that too, but not so much anymore. I also hate having cupboards open. Go figure.

Happy Valentine's Day!

Bond Girl 007 said...

oh michelle it is always a joy to read your posts and to learn something more about you! funny about the cupboards..i fact i was heating something in the micro and i just remember that I absolutely absolutely HATE A DIRTY MICROWAVE I don't judge people for it, but it just DISCUSSES me...quite a bit~

jenn said...

So fun to read your list Michelle! I'm looking forward to your happy post!

Elizabeth said...

Your posts never disappoint. What a fun list.

Unknown said...

separated at birth?!? i sucked my thumb AND twirled my hair into jr high!! i would pull my hair out, which left beatiful little bald patches. i still love to tie strands of hair in knots - good thing i keep it short!!

and the cabinet door thing? it makes me want to scream sometimes!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...