Wednesday, February 07, 2007

the road to recovery

We seem to be on it. I sincerely hope we're on it, especially since it looks like blue skies are ahead.

This is probably the worst flu we've been hit with, at least since the Paris Flu of 1996-1997 (it spanned Christmas-New Year's). The good news is: it hasn't moved beyond Eva and Lucas. The bad news is: it lasts so long! We keep having false hopes where we think they're over it, then it comes back with a vengeance. But I really think they're recovering this time, finally.

Eva gave me quite a scare on Monday. I took her to the doctor again because I was concerned that it was lasting so long and she might become dehydrated. He said it's rampant in our area right now and that many toddlers were being hospitalized for dehydration. He wasn't too concerned about her since she still had saliva and just told me to keep pushing fluids.

As soon as we got back from the appointment, she started refusing all fluids! She didn't drink anything from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and she was still vomiting. I read about dehydration in my "Portable Pediatrician" book and became more concerned because it said that increased irritability and inability to focus was a sign that mild dehydration was getting worse. She was completely freaking out, to the point of scratching her face, whenever I offered her something to drink. (And I offered her about 10 different options!) Plus, the roof of her mouth was tacky when I touched it, which was another sign of getting worse.

I called Marc in a mild state of panic, and he brought home still more drinks and Dora popsicles. She calmed down some when he came home and was more compliant. Gradually she started to seem more like herself and I felt so relieved.

Here's the ironic thing: the girl who never wants to eat was constantly asking for food when she had the stomach flu and therefore couldn't eat! Toast. Toast. Waffle. Yogurt. Apple. Nice.... I just hate it when little kids have the flu and don't understand why you won't let them eat.

Anyway, she's keeping things down now and Lucas is returning to school tomorrow. Hooray! I have hope that my life might actually start to return to normal. But I'm not counting on it, let's not get crazy.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are such a champ Michelle! I would have been freaking out over her anti-fluid agenda as well. And the food thing is so sad, esp for her since she is normally so picky. Here's to the road to recovery with no more detours!

charlotte said...

I sure hope things will stay stable! Your family is in my prayers. Hurrah for getting well!

charlotte said...

By the way, I really liked "The Water and the Blood." I haven't read it in a while, but I remember it's a good one!

Jill said...

I can't believe how awful this flu stint has been. It sounds frightening and frustrating. I hope no one else gets it and that you're blessed with extremely happy and healthy kids as a reward for your troubles.

Kelly said...

I hope they continue to do better. Out of all the books on the shelf, The Portable Pediatrician was the only parenting book I referred to, loved it!

Julie said...

Hooray for feeling better. It's warm outside, the sun is shining and puxatawany (sp?) phil say it's going to be an early spring. All things to be excited about. WAHOO!!!

collette said...

Argh!!! I am so sorry to hear about Eva. I hope everyone is well on their way to complete good health.

Bond Girl 007 said...

oh how terrible to have a baby sick. Jorvik has been very sick for the last couple of weeks too. he had a couple of ear infections so we discarted the stomach flu, however, vomit/diarreah/no eating at all...it has been hard on top the amoxicilin has been very tough on him....today is the last day of 10 days on it, so hopefully he will be active and himself again! hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm glad there's a light at the end of the tunnel. We are in the same boat here, so I totally sympathize! Dehydration is so scary, and it is so hard to explain why they can't eat. Best of luck for a full recovery!

Diana said...

Dehydration sure does scare me too. Josh so many times when he's sick doesn't want to drink or eat and sleeps like crazy, luckily no serious dehydraion has occured with him.
I am glad the sky is looking a little bluer. You are always in my thoughts and I just hope things get a little easier on you.

melanie said...

The flu at your house is just WRONG! It has hung on and on! I hate when they pull sneakers when you think they are healthy and they get sick again.

I'm glad the road to recovery is near, I hope all is well for a very long time after this!

Melinda said...

Oh, how scary!! I have never had one of my kids that sick. I am so glad she is getting better. I hate the stomach flu. I hate when they are young and don't get it. My 3yr old always tries to talk while she is throwing up to tell me what she is doing. They she tries to swallow it. So I have to keep reminding her to get it all out. Gross, sorry.
I really hope you all get healthy and be done with the sickness!

everything pink! said...

ohh maybe on the mend. i hope i hope.
i am crossing my fingers for your creative friday....

Anonymous said...

Yikes... what a scare. I hope it all ends so so soon!

What will you title this outbreak? I was very taken with the "Paris Flu 1996-1997" - the title alone gave me shivers. (Flu in PARIS???? Illegal! Horrific! Abominable!)

jenny said...

Michelle, that is scary! I am glad you are on the road to recovery. Hang in there :)

Tasha said...

Michelle! What a nightmare! You are certainly "grace under pressure". I hope things get back to normal soon soon soon and that E keeps that appetite when she can finally eat again!

Alison said...

Dehydration sounds horrifying and I am totally going to have a glass of water now. Michelle, Hannah stole my exclamation: YOU.ARE.A.CHAMP.

amy gretchen said...

I still can't believe your still dealing with the flu, but at least you can see the light...right? I'm really grateful Eva wasn't dehydrated. I always stress about that too because it's such a big deal. I am sending healing thoughts your way and just hope all goes back to normal asap.

Amy said...

Michelle, all of this sickness and you were in such good spirits last night! I would be dragging myself around in a horrible state. It must the upswing in health and the thought of life getting back to normal. I am so glad for you. It's been a rough few weeks.

Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear this report! I phoned last evening on the way home from work, did Max tell you? At any rate, bless you for all you've been through! I'm really happy to hear Eva is doing better and the boys are back in school. Try and rest alittle! I sent my valentines yesterday as I will be in Charleston installing Jo Jones next week. The weather will be a pleasant relief from our subzero temps of late! Denise comes in tomorrow night and I am looking forward to the good company and help! It will be a long hard week but rewarding and creative! Maybe alittle trip to TJMaxx and Homegoods will happen as well! Keep me posted on the continuing wellness! Hugs to all---

Jordan said...

It's the pits, there is no other description. I'm sending hopes for healthier days ahead your way.

Crystalyn said...

oh i so hope you arrive at destination recovery SOON! you have been a trooper. what a horrid few weeks. i'll keep my fingers crossed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...