Friday, December 01, 2006

Nativity = best toy ever!

Yesterday we met Jessie & Bella at Costco to get a little Christmas shopping done. It's so funny to me that we can buy the babies Christmas presents right in front of them and they're none the wiser! It's much easier than the clandestine way I have to shop for everyone else.

I'm still working on Christmas decorating, but we do have our trees finished now. Here's the main tree:


and the boys' tree in their bedroom

the wreath on the front door

I got out the little wooden nativity set I made a few years ago, and Eva thought it was the best toy ever. She was playing with the animals and it was a cacophony of animal sounds for awhile there.

...and here's the scene as she left it.

Jill thinks we lost a week there somewhere, I think it could be more than one! Anyway, since today is somehow December 1st already, I had to dash out and buy treats to fill the advent calendar I bought at Target last year.

I'm such a sucker for holiday treats. What is it about the seasonal colors that makes them so irresistible? Anyway, I decided to try the candy cane Hershey's kisses, and I think they're surprisingly good. (white chocolate with pieces of candy cane) I'm not usually a big fan of white chocolate, but Lucas loves it, so I knew they wouldn't go to waste.


Here's a terrible photo of the advent calendar, but you get the idea. There is a little drawer for each day that you put surprises inside, and then you turn the drawer around. When all the drawers are turned around, you have a completed picture of a Christmas tree. This is probably Max & Lucas's favorite part of December. I usually put little candies and coins in the different drawers. This year I decided to put a coupon for a family movie night in one drawer, and notes from Marc and I for Christmas Eve. If I had thought of this sooner, I'm sure I could think of more things, but I'll have to save that for next year...

Sadly, Jill couldn't come for Creative Friday (sigh). So instead, I cleaned my house, did errands, readied the advent calendar, and now I'm getting ready to design my Christmas card -- finally!

I am LOVING listening to Christmas music. Right now I'm listening to the Manhattan Transfer Christmas album. There's a track called "A Christmas Love Song" that I had never really paid much attention to, even though I had listened to this album many many times. That is, until we had a little family reunion a couple of years ago to celebrate my grandparents' 60th wedding anniversary (!). My aunt Patti put together a program of various songs and reminiscences, and in it she sang A Christmas Love Song. Grandma cried all the way through, and she never cries. Apparently it's my grandparents' song! (according to Grandma, anyway) That knowledge, coupled with hearing Aunt Patti sing it -- I have loved and wanted to emulate her voice since I was a little girl -- has made me adore this song, and now every time I hear it, I get a bit teary.

13 comments:

Jill said...

Whitney loves to play with that wooden Nativity too. It's so great, I'm very glad you made one for me too.

I'm a sucker for Seasonal Candy too. I wish we had a cool advent thingy like yours. I just buy the cheap ones with candy in them at the grocery store. The kids still love it, but they're sure not cute.

jenny said...

I love all your trees! We have a plastic fisher price nativity and my kids haven't stopped playing with it either.

I love seeing all of your seasonal christmas stuff--it looks great!

Elisa said...

I love the colors of your tree, and how lucky that the boys get a tree in their room!
I can't buy gifts in front of Miriam anymore (2 1/2) it's very annoying. Especially since my family have been sending me out to buy their gifts to Miriam because they live in a small town with just Wal-Mart and KMart for toy options.
I can't buy candy, I have zero self-control, I eat one after another like a chain smoker. It's seriously disturbing and amazing what I can pack away in a day.

Liz said...

I love your trees! The nativity is darling! I would love that! I've got the FP plastic one for the kiddos, which they love. I also like your advent calendar, I've eyed those over the years. I will have to get one sometime. Thanks for sharing your decorations!

melanie said...

I love your tree! It is so pretty with all the fruit, Gorgeous! Fun for the boys too, great idea.

I fall for holiday candy too. I had the candy cane kisses at a bridal shower and I seriously had to move away from them. Delish! I too have issues walking away from the candy and not eating them all!

Anonymous said...

Holiday candy is of the devil...it is just too festive and bright. Love your tree and that you have a main one and the boys have their own.

My mom had an advent calendar like that and I want to make it one year. She had candies in the drawers and then a lot of activities mixed in. If you still want some ideas, here are some that I can think of:

-Drive around to look at lights
-Hot cocoa and Christmas stories
-Gingerbread house night
-Volunteer at the food bank night
-Making sugar cookies
-Christmas Movie night w/ popcorn
-Making snow angels and then decorating them with sticks/leaves/rocks and taking pictures
-Delivering secret santa stuff night (we always adopted a family and my mom would put that activity in the day that we were supposed to take things to the family)
-Christmas Carol night

I know there were more, but that is all I can think of. It kinda made the season seem more Christmas-ey or something.

Snowball fight (or sock fight if there wasn't snow on that day)

Jordan said...

I love your fruit-themed tree--complete with watermelon skirt and all! Darling.

Amie said...

Oh, I miss being able to buy the kids Christmas presents while they were with me.

Your advent calendar is very cool. My kids love ours, I will have to take a picture.

Your tree is very pretty.

Crystalyn said...

busy, busy! it seems wonderful. i too am a sucker for seasonal treats. let's be honest...i'm a sucker for any treats any time of the year. this holiday season has been impossible to say no to anything. i had to go buy more candy for our gingerbread houses because of how much i snuck for myself beforehand.

love your nativity. i want to get one that is childproof so my kids can play with it. i don't have one and am so sad this year because christian is really old enough to get it and hanna made all the animal sounds as we read the christmas story tonight. something i will definitely be on the look out for!

Crystalyn said...

busy, busy! it seems wonderful. i too am a sucker for seasonal treats. let's be honest...i'm a sucker for any treats any time of the year. this holiday season has been impossible to say no to anything. i had to go buy more candy for our gingerbread houses because of how much i snuck for myself beforehand.

love your nativity. i want to get one that is childproof so my kids can play with it. i don't have one and am so sad this year because christian is really old enough to get it and hanna made all the animal sounds as we read the christmas story tonight. something i will definitely be on the look out for!

Bond Girl 007 said...

0h michelle your house looks adorable...i love how the tree looks... you were very busy while jill took her sis to the airport... i can't believe the picture with eva and the toys on the back part...how funny that is!

Diana said...

That's a cute pic of the girls in the cart. I can no longer shop for Kira in front of her because she pays great attention at all times to what I am doing and has an incredible memory, I'd hate for her to stop believing in Santa at 2 because she remembered mommy buying that toy at target.
I too am a sucker for seasonal treats. Christmas candy is oh so good... my favorite is the hersheys mint kisses.

everything pink! said...

i am going crazy over your darling tree skirt!

and the nativity. do you have a pattern for that, i love basic nativities kids can't destroy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...