Friday, November 17, 2006

a favorite recipe

This is something I really like, and I frequently make it when I haven't planned or shopped for anything because I usually have all the ingredients on hand. It's also quick and easy!

Pasta with Carrot/Shallot Sauce

5 or 6 carrots, diced fairly small
4 or 5 shallots, minced (I have used 1/2 an onion in a pinch)
1 can diced tomatoes
1/2 c. white wine
1 T. olive oil
1 T. butter
salt
pepper
1/3 c. parmesan cheese
evaporated milk or fat free half-and-half
1 pound fettuccine

Heat the olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Saute the carrots and shallots until they start to get soft and lightly browned. Add the tomatoes (undrained) and the wine. (You can omit the wine if you wish -- it will still be good, but there won't be as much depth to the flavor.)

Simmer until the carrots are just soft (not mushy). Use an immersion blender to puree most of the sauce -- you still want it to be a little chunky (or not, depending on your preference!). If you don't have an immersion blender, just puree 2/3 of the sauce in a regular blender and then return to the skillet. Add the butter to smooth out the sauce, and salt and pepper to taste.

Stir in the parmesan cheese and maybe 1/4 c. of evaporated milk. (How I love a good rose sauce!) Serve over al dente fettuccine or angel hair pasta.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks so good Michelle and like something that I could make anytime. Thanks for sharing! I love simple ingredient dinners.

Jill said...

That's so funny that you could make that recipe with stuff you have on-hand. I'd have to go to the store for 4 or 5 ingredients.

Bond Girl 007 said...

that is crazy that jill would have to go to the store for most of them...i think I have all of them! thanks for sharing THANK YOU! I don't know what is wrong with me lately, but there is nothing in my fridge as of late...and precisely today I was wondering wht to fix? it is quite late now, but I will for sure try it next week.
Ciao!

jenn said...

sorry- I'm in Jill's boat. I don't think I have EVER bought shallots! and somehow it doesn't seem as easy as grilled cheese! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...