Friday, November 25, 2011

thankful

Yesterday, I made the best pie crust of my life! (Recipe here.) It must be the chilling of the water and the dough that makes it roll out beautifully - no tearing! And delightfully flaky. I forgot to take a picture of the finished pumpkin pie.

While I was thus engaged, Eva decided to make a "thankful list," and then she went ahead and made blank ones for all of our family members, to be filled out after Thanksgiving dinner. I can't find it right now, but I know that it included family, Jack the dog, feet, and knees.

I sent Max to Target to look for chocolate stars so we could make our chocolate turkeys (I ran out of time on Wednesday), but they were closed. Drat! (But great for their employees.)

We went to Grandma & Grandpa's house for dinner (at noon). It's a bit strange, and also delightful, to not have a lot of cooking to do for Thanksgiving. We all ate too much - except for Lucas and Eva, who ate only cornbread muffins, fruit, and broccoli. Huh.

After dinner, Eva called us all in to watch her movie: Animal Life, The Life Cycle. It included this badger, who is apparently a fruitatarian.

And these squirrels in the Egg Forest. The movie dragged on rather long, and ended with all audience members sprawled on the floor and the couch. They may have been carrying on whispered conversations as well.

Then we all went to the Muppet movie! I have such nostalgia for the Muppets. I watched that show every week and had a Kermit the Frog puppet that I adored. I started to get a little misty during The Rainbow Connection! It felt very holidayish to go to a movie and it was one that all ages could enjoy (even though my kids didn't even know the Muppets).

After the movie, we had pumpkin pie and peanut butter chocolate torte (Marc's birthday dessert). Yes, it was his birthday on Thanksgiving this year. (Not his favorite, but we celebrated on Wednesday.)

The birthday hamster, who sings the Beatles' birthday song. A Winegar birthday tradition. Strangely, I didn't get any photos of the birthday bear and hat.

Bob and Mim had prepared soup and sandwiches for dinner! But none of us could eat another bite.

But there's always room for See's.

Here's what I wrote on my thankful for list:

indoor plumbing
a warm house
family
DVR
chocolate
peanut butter
conditioner
books
Amazon
dishwasher
iPod
socks
yarn
fabric
Pinterest
cameras
temple
soft sheets
tea
KitchenAid
nail polish
hugs
teachers
ice water
stretchy pants
homemade cookies

Eva laughed at many of the items on my list, but then she had to admit that they are all pretty great. So much to be thankful for.

4 comments:

patsy said...

What a great day!
HOw did you like the muppet movie?
I LOVE the muppets.

Yes so much to be thankful for!!

Corn bread muffins, fruit & broccoi? Maybe that's the eating style I should adapt?

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

What a delightful post. What a delightful list of things to be grateful for. I love them. I'm thankful for dryer sheets so that my whites don't cling.

I laughed at Lucas' vs. Max's outfits that they chose to wear to Thanksgiving dinner.

Hooray for a good pie crust recipe that I don't have to fight with. Thank you. There are two doughs that I fight: pie and soft roll. I even tense up when I'm working with them some times. I've been making pies and rolls for 3 dozen years, but I still find myself in a power struggle with them every now and then and it makes me mad I'm not more of the adult in the situation. This may help immensely. Thank you.

Jill said...

If I get ambitious I'll have to try that pie crust recipe.

I love The Muppets...they factored heavily into my childhood. My kids have watched several of the Muppet Movies on Netflix.

Charlotte said...

I love this Thanksgiving recap!

And as far as chocolate turkeys go, Fred Meyer sells them by the pound. Seriously. I bought a full pound and whatever I didn't use for turkeys I snacked on. Obviously.

I'm thinking that next year I'll have to take orders for chocolate stars!

I thought The Muppets was delightful, btw.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...