Thursday, March 24, 2011
1. What do you think of American Idol this season? I was wary at the beginning because I thought it might fall apart without Simon. 'Tis to laugh! Steven Tyler and J. Lo are great! I especially liked the way they handled the auditions. They said what needed to be said without being cruel. (Now Randy's the cruel one?) Since the voting portion started, I think they have been a bit overly generous, though.
The talent this year is over-the-top. I had no idea how they were going to narrow it to the top 24 or top 12. But then the performances get going in earnest and some of your favorite people disappoint you! What gives? I think perhaps it is the artificial contrivance of the themes. Songs from the year they were born? Come on. Motown, though – you can't argue with that.
Why is it so hard for the contestants to choose good songs? Do they need consultants to help with that?
Thoughts on specific contestants:
- Scotty. If I could go back in time and un-hear his performances, I would. His cockiness, extreme twang, and sneer just push me over the edge. But apparently he has loads of fans because he's never even in the bottom 3!
- Paul. I really liked him until he sang the Rod Stewart song. Now I can only think of Rod Stewart when I hear him. I can't stand Rod Stewart. Still, his smile does light up a room.
- Naima. Love her story. She needs to be singing, not cleaning up at a concert venue! And her African dancing? She rocked it.
- Casey. He's been growling too much in recent weeks, but I am rooting for him anyway. His performances early on in the season (Hollywood week) totally won me over. Could you stand his reaction when he was saved? So cute. (Although apparently he has quite a dirty mouth!)
- James. I like him more every time he performs. He is so poised and is a great performer. His Tourette's is endearing to me. I just want him to have something really great in his life, and he keeps knocking it out of the park! But I do have one small complaint: the tail. I don't get it. You don't need the tail, James.
And finally, why aren't they playing their instruments more? I love it when they play and sing.