Friday, December 04, 2009

Pompidou revisited

We squeezed in one more visit to the Centre Pompidou -- before my parents visited, and before the museum strike. Huzzah!

Of course I was intrigued by the numbers and letters on the large square in front of the museum. Those weren't there before.

We were all charmed by the gigantic bubbles this man was making, and gave him a euro for his trouble.

Not so charmed by this "pigeon rampage," as Eva calls it. Even my pigeon-loving children had to admit that it was a big creepy.

Once we were up in the escalators, we could see that it was the museum calendar for the month. Cool, eh? (I drive Lucas crazy by stopping frequently to take photos. Oh well, sometimes it's rough being part of a family.)

How I love the views from the top! It doesn't get much better for me than Paris rooftops.


During this visit, we explored the museum's permanent collections. I found this painting very interesting, the whole (very large) canvas is covered with handwriting.

This was a portrait of someone or other (I really should take notes). It makes me think that maybe Woman in Pearls isn't so bad after all...

I don't even remember what piece of art this caption belongs to. I just loved the writing!

It's no secret that modern art is not my favorite, but I do love these colors. Besides, this makes a lot more sense to me than, say, an all-blue canvas.

Check out this collar and cuffs! That is my kind of dress.

A detail I enjoyed -- it reminded me of the Magritte museum we visited in Brussels.

This painting completely fascinated me. It reminds me of a half-finished page from a (masterful) coloring book!

A view of the Stravinsky Fountain from above. When I visit a modern art museum (well, any museum, really), it helps to have fabulous views!

10 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I can't believe that I have been to the Pompidou and have not seen the view from the rooftop. Beautiful!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Oh Michelle, Paris is going to miss you. Who is going to appreciate the scripts, fonts, ironworks, graveyards, sidewalk paintings, ruffles, buttons, and pastries as much as you? Thanks to Lucas for enduring all of the photo-op stops so that could share with the rest of us. It never occurred to me it might be annoying to someone since I've enjoyed it so much.

Jill said...

The views from the museum windows in Paris were often as wonderful as the art inside...if only the guards would keep the windows smudge-free for our picture taking!

I love all the details you included here and I think the concrete calendar is very cool!

Melinda said...

I will have to get a list of places to go and visit when you get back. We are for sure going in March, just got my passport and I really don't know the first thing about Paris. I will have the mornings to myself while Jason is in class and I am embarrassed to say I am a little scared to go off on my own.

I am so jealous you found 29x32 pants! That is what Blake wears and they are impossible to find. He has to wear 31x32. It is the smallest we can find and he has to wear a belt.

thefractalman said...

I don't think that the "pigeon rampage" was a "big creepy" like you said! Lucas insists that he liked it too. I think it is amazing that a bunch of birds that were all spread apart over a wide area could all suddenly lift off and fly at the exact same time, using no signals I could see. I still really liked the view I saw from the other exhibit, where all I could see was rooftops, for a very wide area.

Charlotte said...

Well, that lovely portrait sure is masterful. . . . The pigeon rampage is a little scary. And I love the calendar on the ground—oh how I love vicariously experiencing Paris through you!

crystal said...

Hey, you saw the portrait of me! Woman in Pearls has nothing on me. haha

Michelle said...

Crystal stole my line. I'm not a huge pigeon fan so I would have been creeped out by the pigeon rampage.

Rebekah said...

The calendar on the street is genius. I wish I could think of something like that. Just one golden, brillian idea in my lifetime would be enough.

Bond Girl 007 said...

Ohhh my the French doo have a way with things, I love Paris, but this photos do capture a unique side to it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...