Tuesday, December 22, 2009

it's all good

I honestly can't believe that I took this picture only 15 days ago. 15 days ago we had all of our luggage piled outside in front of our Paris apartment, and we were embarking on the long journey home. It feels like much more than 15 days have elapsed since then. (I guess a protracted, nasty illness afflicting the whole family will do that.)

But it's all good.

Being home just feels so right. (Don't ask Marc, though, he would have to disagree. He would stay in Paris indefinitely.)

A smattering of things that have made me happy in the last 15 days:

Max and Lucas cheerfully shoveling snow the day after our return.

Eva dressed like the Michelin man, enjoying the snow like nobody's business.

Pizzeria 712. Marc and I stole away for a delicious lunch one day. That is some seriously good pizza.

Christmas cards that arrive daily. It is so fun to see everyone's photos and read the great letters we have received this year. Newsflash: I am actually doing cards this year! Unsurprisingly, they will be going out late...

My mixer. Oh, how I love baking. Eva and I made Hannah's chewy ginger cookies today, and Lucas was my assistant for the Rolo/pretzel turtles. Christmastime is a great excuse to bake.

Taking Lucas to get gifts for his siblings. Watching him spend too much, even though he said he doesn't expect anything from them (Max spent his money on treats that he brought back for his friends).

Need I say more?

I will, actually. I have thoroughly enjoyed being able to fill up a big cart with no worries about how to get my purchases home. I simply wheel the cart out to my car and load her up. It's so liberating! Plus, the cashier actually bags my groceries for me! What a luxury.

Marc and I have both been slightly taken aback by the niceness that abounds here. While doing my last-minute Christmas errands, I have found myself going about my business in my city-shield: avoiding eye contact, keeping to myself, etc., only to hear my name called by a neighbor or be engaged in conversation by a stranger. What is this strange friendliness?

I was approached by a stranger in Costco who reads my blog (hi, Katie!). She was so nice, she enjoyed my Paris posts... it wasn't even weird.

People go out of their way to talk to me, to engage my children. I feel like I am in a different world entirely.

I took all three kids to get haircuts yesterday, and this is the only picture I took in the salon? What the?!

Eva got two inches trimmed off and looks older already. Also, she can reach her light switch now, and she used to have to get a step stool.

Max went very short, and looks darling. I love it that his hair plan coincides with what I think looks good on him.

Lucas is growing his hair out and wants a shag à la Zac Efron. I prefer it short. But Marc convinced me that hair is a low-risk arena for us to allow some freedom of expression. It's only hair, and it will not stay the same forever. I had to agree. It's not my favorite, but the kid wore a hat every day we were in Paris because he hated his hair... so it's all good.

Here is the biggest news: I have not been stressed about Christmas! I know, right? I was prepared for Christmas to be somewhat of a nightmare this year, what with the move and the limited time and all. But apparently I did a great job of lowering my expectations, because I have been okay with doing lots of online shopping, reducing the amount of decorating, not making my own cards, and saying no to activities that make me feel stressed. I haven't even been staying up late!

I could get used to this.

13 comments:

Natasha said...

The hair-- oh, I understand. I prefer Griffin's hair to be longish and he wants it short. That is one battle I am willing to let my 6 year old win!Ditto for clothes. His wardrobe is 10xs nicer than mine but he wants to wear camo pants and a black tshirt every chance he gets. I try to just sigh and suck it up.

Glad the transition home was better than expected. I know that most of us reading all of your glorious Paris posts tend to forget the darker side of traveling around the world with 3 kids!

The cookies look heavenly!

Unknown said...

"low risk arena for us to allow some freedom of expression" is my new mantra!! (thanks, marc!)

jack is all about the ephron shag. i'm fine with it (for now). we could work ont he shampooing of said shag, though...

love your cheerful post!

TX Girl said...

This post made me realize I need to be less of a grinch.

Cookies look DELICIOUS.

I'm all about non-homemade Christmas cards. I use to be against store bought, but now.. not so much.

Jill said...

It feels like you've been home more than 15 days to me too, weird. Perhaps because I've made many drives to your house and have seen you multiple times already, I don't know.

I'm so glad your city shield is being attacked by public kindness, this is Utah, no shields needed!

I'm not going to tell Landon about Marc's theory of personal expression.

Melinda said...

Way to go on the low stress Christmas. That could be the best gift of all this year.

I hate hair issues with the kids. I have been banned from Ashley's hair for quite a while. It drives me crazy. I tried to do too many cute braids and it's not her thing. I have people tell just to be patient because she will be the awesome teenager who will be able to do hair great on herself. Until then I have to bite my tongue.

KIC said...

Hi Michelle! Glad to know you didn't think I was too much of weirdo saying hello at Costco. :) Welcome back to Utah and Merry Christmas!
-Katie

Lori said...

Those cookies were delicious! Merry Christmas.

jenn said...

I love to see what makes you happy here at home. It makes me more grateful for those things too.

My mom felt the same as Marc about hair.

I want the chewy gingerbread recipe- yum.

How did you lower your expectations and reduce Christmas stress? I think starting early led to higher expectations for me and I'm sitting on rock bottom trying to climb out of my holiday funk. Maybe I'll feel better when my cards go out- late, of course, but that is typical of me too.

shannon said...

I loved this post...

I was wondering how you'd be feeling about being back in the hum drum of life after your big Paris adventure, but I can totally see why it feels good to return...
It gives you a whole new appreciation for the little things...

I'm trying to back off when it comes to clothing and hair issues with my kids...(I think you are wise to allow freedom of expression with these things...) as long as it's modest, I'm biting my tongue...(my tongue is bleeding most days) :(

Your label "target is all about cool" made me laugh...that really is one cool store...Isn't it funny that after being in such a stylish place like Paris that Target hasn't lost it's appeal? I don't know what it is about that store! I always feel so cheered up when I go in...I think the upbeat lighting might have something to do with it...

amy gretchen said...

Paris looked amazing, but i'm sure it's great to be home. Home is home after all.

it's nice that after your experiences you have a level of gratitude for the little things.

so glad your not stressed at all. I think not staying up late has got to be a key.

Susan said...

Love this documentation! I'm looking forward to blogging about more personal stuff...actually, I'm really looking forward to blogging about my Black-Eyed Susan stuff again, I've really missed it! Apparently many of my followers have also, as I recieve emails wondering what in the world has happened...retail Christmas, I guess!

I'm presuming that you have tried out your new mixer gadget (recommended by Rita, of course!)

I want to see photos of the new haircuts, they sound great!

Poinsettias are not my favorites, but that color is pretty awesome.

Glad you got your tree up! I finally put one tree out of 5 up on the 23rd. It made me happy.

Rebekah said...

Oh, Little Eva is so adorable in her snow clothes! What a sweetheart. If I was her aunt I would give that little face anything it asked for.

Hannah's chewy ginger cookies are the best cookies I have ever made. Everyone I make them for loves them. They are probably my favorite cookies ever and I think they are almost foolproof, which is good because I don't have a natural hand with cookies.

Super Target? No, you need not say more.

I call my city-shield my 'Eat Crap and Die' look. It means, 'Don't talk to me, don't come near me, I'm not moving out of the way for you, I don't have any money for you, I don't think your inappropriate advances are funny, I'm not signing up for Green Peace, I don't think you're as hot as you think you are, I got here first so don't even think about jumping ahead of me, that bus seat is mine, stay out of my way and I'll stay out of yours...' Sometimes when it's not even sunny I wear my sunglasses just for the personal space that it affords me. How sad is that?

Bond Girl 007 said...

yeahhhhhhh it sounds sooo casual. I guess it is, life here in the US is easy very easy after all...and yes you are in UTAH....people are much friendlier over there.....glad to hear your expectations are not going bananans....I don't like the sound of lowering your expectations...I think it is an oxymoron, to have lack of expectations and know that expectations take you to greater greatness.....I don't know if that makes sense or not, but I think I will think of that...and maybe blog on my captivat blog, I want to use it much more this year, but i forgot my pass word....I really messed up on that one...i used alf's google e mail...and then I don't know what password I picked.....Ishould have just done it the same way as I did my grandderrier. one.....oh my!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...