Saturday, September 05, 2009

seriously.

Jill and Jenn came over this morning to help me out. They were both dusting (I rarely seem to get around to dusting!) and I was gathering and sorting. Suddenly I caught a glimpse of something hideous on my wall!

Not a bug, nor bodily fluids or anything of that sort. No, this little beauty was hung there on purpose.

What the? In fact, I actually purchased it at one point (albeit about 16 years ago). My only excuse is that, at one point, I liked it. And now I hate it. And apparently I stopped seeing it. I have no idea what brought it into view with such clarity today, but it was such a relief throwing it away!

I mentioned it to Marc, and he said, "well, it did have some cool keys hanging from it." As if THAT excuses this monstrosity.

But the worst part was that, when I mentioned to Jill and Jenn that I was going to throw it away, they both breathed a sigh of relief and said they had been wondering for years how that had made it into my house. Years!

I demanded to know why they never mentioned it, and they said it wasn't their place to question my decor. And so, a declaration is in order: if ever you are wondering something like that, please tell me! Please. I promise I can take it.

15 comments:

Bond Girl 007 said...

Oh my, Michelle your hair is quite short, but very cute in this photo!, your eyes are twinkling...and I can actually see the blue!, goodness, 16 years....there are things we buy that wonder years later, what were we thinking??? i looks like grains, or walnuts, then it looks like a postcard too....what is it?

jenn said...

I promise it is the ONLY time I have questioned something on your wall or in your decor and I did not say anything in fear that it reflected MY lack of style. Nevertheless- I am happy you took it down and can't wait to see what happiness takes its place by your computer!

I had such fun with you and Jill this morning and hated my dreaded tree issue even more for pulling me away from lunch and teaching you Gloom!! Good Luck with your travels sweet friend. You will be sorely missed!

Jill said...

This is going to crack me up for a long time to come!

Elizabeth said...

I am afraid that I have too many of these types around my house. I need to just get rid of them already.

I really can't quite figure out what your thing is either. But agree that is should have been a goner. I am sure you can find something fabulous in Paris to replace it.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

If those are twigs and tree things it kind of looks like a collection that you make at 4-h camp. If they're pretzels and cereal flakes well, then, your guess is as good as mine how the weevil didn't beat you to them.

Good luck in Paris. I'm glad there is still blogging.

TX Girl said...

I love your labels for this one.

I would have assumed it was a gift from a family member/close friend and you just didn't have the heart to not hang it up in your house.

I'm so excited to see all your posts about Paris.

Liz said...

And here I thought you were going to say it was a ginormous bug or something else equally disturbing. At least the offending item has been removed and when you return from Paris, perhaps you will have found something more stylish to hang in its place!! :)

Rebekah said...

Ha! I noticed it a long time ago and thought, 'What a weird thing for Michelle to have!' Too funny.

Natasha said...

Are those pecans in there?

Natasha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Barb said...

Michelle, you have such style, now I am worried about what I am not seeing in my own house that should really come down.

Robyn said...

I can't even imagine you having anything hideous on your walls! You are the queen of good decor and have such a beautiful home! I think we all have things hanging around that we stop 'seeing'. That's so funny that Jenn and Jill both agreed.

Susan said...

Sometimes I try to take something down that I have had for that long...I do get tired of some things....but then again, sometimes I just keep loving them!!

There is no accounting for things that we loved 16 years past.

A good farewell!

Charlotte said...

I'm planning on blogging about this soon, but last weekend when we were running errands, I bought a tablecloth at Bed, Bath and Beyond that Mom and I both thought was cute. Then when we got back to my apartment and put it on my kitchen table, I realized that I hated it. Hated it. Ugliest thing ever. Mom and I were both aghast that we ever thought it was cute. At least it was on clearance.

Jill said...

It's funny to revisit this post thanks to your "you might also like" widget. That thing was heinous!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...