Wednesday, May 27, 2009

memorial day

Marc went to work on Memorial Day (no big shock here). I took the kids to Borders and we spent almost two hours browsing there! I read some books to Eva, then perused the knitting section. I ended up with this new purchase:

I had a gift card from Mother's Day (thanks, Dad!) and a 40% off coupon, and the boys had a gift card left from Easter. Buying new books seemed a good way to prepare for summer vacation.

Marc's parents invited us to come to Salt Lake and swim, and it was the perfect day for our inaugural swim of the year.

The kids had the whole pool to themselves!

Thanks to all the kids pitching in with Eva, I didn't even have to get into my swimsuit -- hallelujah! I got to sit under a big umbrella chatting with Michelle, Mim, and Bob.

After they had worn themselves out, everyone showered and dressed and we ate chicken salad, cantaloupe, corn on the cob, watermelon, ice cream and donut holes.

Eva and Grandma spent some time drawing together. Here Grandma is labeling Eva's completed masterpiece:

I love it.

Max and Lucas played with Eva for awhile as well. Hmmm, I was loving this freedom, maybe we should go up to Salt Lake every weekend...

This post-it on the fridge made me smile. Definitely a good reminder.

Lucas and Kristen chatting on the deck. Cousin time is the best.

We got home at 8:00 and Eva went right to bed. The perfect ending to a fun day!

9 comments:

j said...

i love that post-it. honestly, sometimes i think those things are placed there so bloggers will take photos of them so i will read them. :)

what a great day! and hallelujah for children to entertain other children- and swimming pools!!! WOW!

i have these dreams that i'll learn to knit someday. SOME day.

patsy said...

Wow-- I love that note on the fridge!! really good one...

Hooray for not getting in the POOL! now that's my idea of a fun time. :)

Jill said...

What a great day, especially since you didn't have to swim! I love how Bob and Mim are always so involved with the kids and how they make it so you and Michelle don't have to do much work. They really should teach seminars on how to be the best grandparents ever!

shannon said...

This sounds like an ideal, relaxing way to spend a day...

Chicken salad, cantaloupe, corn on the cob, watermelon and ice cream all scream summer to me! What a great way to kick it off!

Susan said...

I don't think I could have "imagined up" any better holiday, even if I were Anne of Green Gables.....

Pretty darn perfect!

emily said...

I used to love taking the kids to the pool last summer because I could just sit and read and enjoy the sun.

I'm excited for you for your new knitting book! I saw some pretty cute ones at Joann this weekend. The dictionary of stitches will be a great resource!

Cecilia said...

Sounds like a perfect holiday!

How cool that the older kids could entertaing Eva, so you could get a break!!!

Melinda said...

I love how swimming wears out the kids. Anytime I can get a fight free night when going to bed is a victory for sure.

Anonymous said...

This looks like the perfect way to spend a holiday all around! That food sounds perfect, swimming sounds divine right now too...:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...