Monday, February 23, 2009

Books 2009 -- #8

Taft: A Novel Taft: A Novel by Ann Patchett

rating: 4 of 5 stars

What's with the Ann Patchett backlash? No, it's not Bel Canto. I loved Bel Canto. I also have really enjoyed all the other Ann Patchett books I have read. (I think the only one remaining is Truth and Beauty). I really enjoy her writing -- she has a gift for character development.


Despite all his flaws, I liked John Nickel. He was good at heart. I liked his in-laws. I liked the other people who worked at Muddy's -- all flawed, complex people with their own problems, but they were real. I really liked Taft, and had to wonder if Fay and Carl would have turned out differently had he not died prematurely. Ultimately, the juxtaposition between the two fathers and their families made for a very interesting counterpoint.


Well worth the read.


View all my reviews.

8 comments:

shannon said...

Juxtaposition?! Man--you're sooooo out of my leaque! :)
I've never heard that word in my life--
How can I incorporate that word into my daily conversations?

I'll add this book to the 500 million others that I'm dying to get to...and spring is almost here-(my most busy time) so I better get cracking on my reading!

P.S. Your dad forwarded me that funny little clip about the dancing dog...so amazing!

j said...

why do i feel like i've read a book by her before? i can't place it- i think i've just seen them and wanted to...
i love authors who develop characters well. she's one i should really look into. i'm looking for some good books while i'm sleep deprived and nursing. yes- even though reading while nursing didn't work the first time, i'm still holding out hope. :)

TX Girl said...

Is there Ann Patchett backlash? I hadn't heard.

Thanks for the review. You rock at recommending books.

Amy said...

I recall that I really enjoyed Taft when I read it, too. But it's been a while so that about all I can say!

amy gretchen said...

I'm glad you liked it. I'm reading Run right now and have enjoyed it enough that I thought I would give more of her books a try. I guess I will.

Amie said...

"worth the read" always makes me want to read... I love things that are worth it.

Natasha said...

Michelle, Thanks for my good mail! What a treat to have Griffin carry in your package today!!

Jill said...

I really liked this book.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...