Sunday, August 10, 2008

girl seeking girl...

Eva, that is. She is now obsessed with playing with friends. And playing at other people's houses.

The day I got back from camp, I took her with me to the camp director's house while I helped unload all the gear. The director's 7-year-old daughter ended up taking Eva inside and playing with her. I think that's where it all started.

Now she's constantly asking me whose house she can go to. I tried to explain that she can't just go to some random house, and that she has to be invited to go to someone's house, but she didn't quite get it. Evidently she grasped that "some random house" had negative connotations, though, because when I tell her that she can't go to anybody's house, she replies, "but I won't go to some random house!"

Lucky for her, she got to play with Ashley at Jill's house on Friday. Jackpot! Here she is, smothering her with friend-love.

On Saturday we invited a neighbor girl over to play and they got along pretty well. (Could you just die over my filthy sliding glass door? Jack's work, of course. And the fact that they're putting their faces on it?!)

The thing is, we just don't have a lot of friend options right now. If I could only convince this girl that playing by herself can be fun! She'll do anything to avoid that, even if it means crying at my feet for loooong periods of time when I have other things to do...

It's a good thing she has brothers.

Lucas usually comes through for her. (But, sadly, he is going back to school next week.)

So for now, I guess we'll keep our eyes open for potential friends. And I'll be sure not to let them know that she does things like this...

15 comments:

Jill said...

That crazy girl, if only she could catch the vision of playing by herself! I'm glad you invited a friend over for her. Maybe when she ends up going to preschool you'll have more options for friends.

Did Lucas get a haircut? He looks great!

Anonymous said...

I wish we lived closer -Mya loves playing with Eva! I just need to get more organized and set up play days for her. I'll e-mail you :)

rmt said...

How cute is she? The underwear on the head is so darn funny--serious future blackmail for sure!

Denise said...

Eva's hair is getting so long, and Lucas looks so grown up and cute! Too bad for you that school starts soon. . . .

charlotte said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
charlotte said...

Sometimes I want to warn Emily's friends about Emily's oddities (e.g. the Paula Face . . .).

Natasha said...

With panties on the head, she'd fit right in with Mardi Gras here!

She is just too cute! Everytime I browse Mini-Boden I think of her, she could be a model for that catalogue. Well, minus the panties on head, ha ha!

Amie said...

She really is so cute... I pretty much love everything that comes out of her mouth. She just cracks me up.

crystal said...

Heeheehee..."some random house." She's got the logic of it down pat.

wende said...

that photo with the panties is so great! that will be serious blackmail material when she's a teenager!

we too are worried about the older kids heading back to school. poor ethan is our tail-ender baby, by nine years and so he's stuck home with only me all day long. he has had so much fun this summer palin' around with the kids. he has no idea what's coming in two weeks...poor guy! maybe they can keep each other company at the next girl's lunch? :)

crystal said...

Ok. I just saw the 7 Peaks SP on Jill's blog & I have to inform you that Eva's little face is just hilarious! Priceless.

Amy said...

It's so hard when they finally discover friends. They become so obsessed with playing with other kids and there is really no way to satisfy the desire. We'd love to have Eva over to play. If you ever happen to be up this way and want to drop her off. . . just let me know! I don't mind when people call and invite their kids over to my house!!

Laurie said...

We have the same issue going on around here! It's so hard when they're young - they can't just run a block away to play with someone. It has to be all arranged and planned, which is sometimes challenging.

Good luck when your older kids go back to school!

Liz said...

Love the pic of Eva with the panites on her head. It is nice when our kids start wanting to make friends, but it does present some problems when they are hard to find! I hope she finds some little friends to play with!

Bond Girl 007 said...

oh this reminded me of something...I took Alexei and Jorvik to burger king to play and it was empty! I said you two play together...and they just won't not at the playpen place...unless Alexei is paired up and then make Jorvik chase them...so finally one boy showed up...and then they started playing...he finally left and i said 5 more minutes...and then others came...and he said can we have 5 times 5 more minutes now that we have someone to play with? gosh...she is soo cute and I love her smile!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...