Sunday, June 17, 2007

Happy Father's Day

Since today is Father's Day, Marc got to sleep in, which was a really good deal for him, since Eva woke up at 5:45! The boys made him cards, and I gave him a relaxing pillow mist from l'Occitane (a favorite store of mine), which is supposed to relieve stress and help you to sleep better, and a selection of his favorite chocolate bars from Michel Cluizel.

He spent a large part of the day out working on his latest photography project. Sadly, it rained most of the day, so he also spent a lot of time ducking into shops and under awnings. I took the kids over to take photos in front of the Eiffel Tower (we're running out of time!), but it started to rain before we even got there, so we turned back. Argh!

Here are some of the reasons Marc is a great father:
  • he cried with me when each of our babies was born
  • he takes the naming of a child to be a weighty responsibility (as do I), eliminating many of the names I proposed by telling me all of the mean name-calling said names would engender
  • he takes turns getting up in the night with our babies, who don't really sleep through the night reliably, until they are about 3. He hates it, but he does it.
  • he always comforts Lucas when he has a night terror
  • he takes the boys on special movie dates
  • he has taken them on many adventures while in France
  • he likes to take the kids clothes shopping
  • he reads with each of our children individually
  • he watches Dora, Diego, Blue's Clues, and Wonder Pets with Eva!
  • he goes to great lengths to get her to eat
  • he is involved in their education, and attends school functions
  • he gets them way more treats than I do
  • he is always on the lookout for books or music that they would enjoy
  • he tries hard not to compare them to each other
  • he encourages them to follow their interests
  • he teaches them about the things he knows
  • he talks to them like people, never condescends
  • he wants our children to travel and to be exposed to lots of different things, places, and people
  • he thinks a lot about what the kids need to be happy
I think they are pretty lucky to have him for their dad!

And, as for my dad, I've said it before, but he is just the greatest Sneelock around. He was a very involved father, even at a time when that was not necessarily the norm. My mom tells me he regularly got up in the night and changed diapers. I remember him giving me baths and reading me bedtime stories. He taught me to read, largely while in the car, by pointing out road signs. He would make me read every other page when he read to me, even though I didn't want to. He is kind and gentle. He never freaked out when I would get into fender benders while driving his car.

He is a wonderful example of service -- he will do anything for you, even if he is tired, even if he just barely returned from the grocery store and you ask him to go back! He works in my yard and does odd jobs around the house when he comes to visit. He values learning, and is pursuing his passion of photography again. And, best of all, he is a wonderful grandfather!

I LOVE YOU, DAD!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle,
Thank you for the kind words!! It was so much fun to spend time with you and the other kids...I considered you my best friends. Now it is fun and satisfying to spend time with the grandkids!

Regarding the photography...when I see your photos of Paris, I wish I had a few more days to shoot, and I realize the many photo ops I missed when I see your compositions!! I appreciate your great eye.

Love,
Dad

Bond Girl 007 said...

wow michelle you sure are surrounded by great men...i love how you described all of the characteristics that Marc instills into your children that is wonderful and it is so sweet to have wonderful memories of your own father

Elisa said...

Very sweet post. I love that Marc gets up with the kids...what a guy!

Anonymous said...

Getting up with the kids is awesome- especially since you have the sleepers you do.

everything pink! said...

ok your dad's comment is making me teary!so sweet.
and shopping for the kids clothes. oh my i wish i would not have read that thinking that is a possiblity and i would not have to. that is just awesome!

Jill said...

It's so nice that your dad reads and comments on your blog, he's a great dad!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Jill! He's a great Dad! I was wondering if you would celebrate American Father's Day. When is France's Father's Day? It's fine indeed to have a good Dad for a husband.

carlo said...

what a sweet post! and your dad reads your blog and COMMENTS? too sweet!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...