Friday, February 09, 2007

there can be no doubt

that I belong to the best book club ever!!


First of all, Jill made us all these cutest shirts for Christmas. The back shows our reading list for 2007. How cool is that?


Secondly, Melanie sent us all this group good mail for our meeting on Wednesday -- she made us each a set of Paris magnets, and threw in some good chocolate for good measure! So thoughtful! So unexpected! (This speaks more to Melanie's coolness than ours, but still, I figure it's related to book club...)


And finally, tonight we went to a reading and book signing by Marilynne Robinson, author of Housekeeping and Gilead. We read Gilead as a group in 2006; it won the Pulitzer Prize and was my favorite book of the year, hands down. And, as Jenn said, it just seems like something we had to do as a book club. So true. (Jill was our honorary photographer for the night, so I'm sure she will be posting pictures.)

I don't usually succumb to fandom -- I'm just not smitten with famous people. Usually. But I was so excited to see and hear this author. She was disarmingly down-to-earth and just so real. Not to mention articulate, even when barraged with questions from the audience. As Jill said, I aspire to be articulate...

Here are just a few of the notes I took tonight:

* She kept and valued the stories she was told about her great-grandparents, and these inform her writing

* During graduate school, to keep herself in the mode of writing fiction, she kept a collection of metaphors that came to her. These later formed the basis of her first novel. (oh my! if only I could do this!)

* Her novels are voice-driven. (Thank you, Ms. Robinson!) She feels that focus on plot can cause you to lose the integrity of the imagined world.

* If those who claim to be Christians lived as they profess to believe, 99% of its opposition would melt away.

* Anyone who is interested in the question of evil is probably not unambiguously evil.

* Our insufficiencies are very lavishly compensated by God's sufficiencies.

After we went to get our books signed and chatted momentarily with Ms. Robinson, we sat at a table and talked amongst ourselves. We then had to hit Barnes & Noble before it closed -- again, something new for us as a group, and so very appropriate.

It was a fabulous night -- the ultimate field trip. (Collette, you were sorely missed! We took a picture of your empty chair. :( It just wasn't the same without you.) I don't know about everyone else, but I am even more excited about our book club in Paris now!

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds so cool! I have never been to an author signing at all- but to go with your book club would be so awesome. I enjoyed Gilead and have Housekeeping on my list for this year. I love that she kept stories from her grandparents.

Anonymous said...

What an amazing little group you have. I am envious :) Marilon Robinson sounds wonderful. I believe her comment of Christians to be correct. Paris will be amazing!

Anonymous said...

Oh my, so jealous! I still can't believe that she wrote both books - it took me twice to get into Gilead and bow both of them are stunning to me.
Are you going to do as book discussion while in Paris? At some park whilst eating cheese and bread and gazing at strolling Parisians?

Jordan said...

Yes, your book club is truly unique. I can't wait to hear how it goes in Paris.

carlo said...

Hi Michelle! Finally commenting after reading your blog for a while...

No doubt about it-- best book club ever. Love the B&N trip and the author signing. Too cool.

Glad everyone is feeling better!

Jill said...

There's definitely no doubt about it!

Liz said...

This sounds like a cool trip to take with your book club. I tried to read Gilead but I couldn't get into it. I will have to try again sometime.

Alison said...

I love book signings!

jenn said...

There really is no doubt!! And the only damper on last night was Collette's absence! (I was waiting for you to say how Ms. Robinson's words were like music to your ears... one of my favorite comments of the night!)

Amie said...

You guys have a great book club. I never get sick of hearing about it. I'm glad you had such a good night together.

Amy said...

If that was a glimpse of how it's going to be when we go to Paris, I don't know how any of us are going to get any sleep until we're there (or until we're home from Paris!). I am still giddy from last night. I bored both Jeremy and my mom telling them all about the night, what Marilynne Robinson talked about, and how much I love Gilead.

amy gretchen said...

Your book club is amazing. You are a lucky bunch. I think I'm going to have to read this book. Between you and Jill's recommendation how could I not.

collette said...

The picture of my lone chair reflects my sadness of not being there. I love the quotes!!

Melinda said...

Your night sounds so great. You guys are really lucky to have such a great group of girls to be with. I used to get together and just talk about books at barns and noble on their sofa/chairs in the middle of the books. It was really fun.

So are you as a book group going to Paris? I think I missed that. It will be a fantastic trip!

Syd said...

Your book club sounds so fun. I LOVE the shirts Jill made!! And how fun to get book club good mail!! Sounds like you had a great time, and you deserve it after so much time with the sickies. I was sorry to read about your little ones. I hope that they are on the mend and that the rest of the winter is germ free!! Hope you have a great week!!

Angie said...

Your book club sounds so fun. I have yet to join one, and love it enough to stick with it. I'm jealous of yours.

CHECK OUT MY BLOG. I TAGGED YOU!!

Jana said...

I love that you took notes. I, too, loved the discussion about christianity. Fun night!!!

annalisa said...

Yeah that does sound like the coolest book club ever. How exciting and fun for you all, especially going to Paris. Have tons of fun.

charlotte said...

How much fun! I wish I had more time to read for leisure!

Crystalyn said...

yes, the best book club ever! so incredible what you are all doing together. love hearing abut it!

Anonymous said...

Oh the fun. I loved the notes that you took and shared with us, it certainly gets you thinking, as I told Jill, I really must go out and pick up this book. It comes so highly recommended.

Watch out Paris!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...