Sunday, January 28, 2007

sickness, Rorschach, and good friends

{Eva reading to her babies.}

So all three of my kids are currently sick. Max and Lucas were home from school the entire week, but they were pretty happy playing together. Eva's the one who gave me a major case of cabin fever -- it's hard for me to get anything done even when she's healthy, but when she's sick, well... let's just say I really look forward to naptime and bedtime!

I took Eva to the doctor on Tuesday (bad cold + impetigo), Lucas on Wednesday (double ear infections); now they're both on antibiotics. It's looking like I will have to take Max in tomorrow since he has had a nasty cough for 10 days now and I really need him to be able to go to school! (Jill says we should have a punch card for co-pays at the pediatrician's office, considering the frequency with which we have to go there -- or at least a fast-track through the waiting room. I couldn't agree more.)

Marc suggested I go out and take a break yesterday. I resisted at first, knowing that I had things I needed to get done at home, but then I relented because I really did need to get out of the house. Jill happened to call right as I was getting ready to leave and asked if I needed a break. Serendipity! We met at Target, ate a leisurely lunch at California Pizza Kitchen, and did a little shopping at Archiver's. It was an afternoon of much-needed rejuvenation. (Jill documented the outing with her camera, since we rarely go out together except on our birthdays.)

Marc has been a little under the weather and I wasn't feeling well today either (though it may be attributable to the fact that I didn't get much sleep last night), so we all ended up staying home from church. I think even the kids were feeling a little oppressed by staying in all week, but that wasn't changing today so they had to get creative. Eva started a new game of getting in bed and reading to her dolls (more often having one of us read to all of them).

Max and Lucas decided to play a new RPG (Max/Lucas-speak for role-playing game). Are you ready for this? They built one of their fort towns in the family room and Max set up shop as a psychoanalyst. (Apparently Max was reading in the encyclopedia this morning, came across an article on mental illness, and was very intrigued. Should I be worried??) He made his own Rorschach test and administered it to Lucas, then me, then Marc. We had so much fun comparing answers that Lucas decided to make his own set -- they each made about 8. Here are a couple of samples, in case you would like to weigh in on what YOU see:


I've gotta say, I never saw that game coming!

Marc went in for the last hour of church and two hours after to work on his financial clerk stuff. (They won't give him an assistant and no one else knows how to do it, so he has to go in even if he's feeling sick.) While he was there, my VT companion and one of my visiting teachers asked him how we were doing, as they noticed we were absent. He reported that everyone was sick. Imagine my surprise when there was a knock at the door -- before church was even over -- and my companion handed me this:


One of the cards she made in my card class last week with a very nice note, and a homemade frozen lasagna! Then, about an hour and a half later, she returned with a dish of vegetables and a plate of warm cookies, and my neighbor and visiting teacher came over with homemade bread, clementines, and flowers.


Well, I have to say, I had been feeling a little down again, but this show of kindness really lifted my spirits!

Hopefully, after tomorrow we will be finished with doctor visits for awhile, the kids can return to school soon, and life can return to a bit more normalcy. But for now, I am so grateful for my great friends and neighbors.

21 comments:

everything pink! said...

Michelle many things.

love those pj's of Eva's. are those the i Love Dad jammies. stripe legs make me crazy. i love them.
so cute about her reading to the babies.

your boys... ok i am so thrilled you wrote this down and look forward to their career choice, it is a wonderful story.

the VT of the year! let me send her a medal for feeling the spirit and acting on it. I love stories like this and am so glad you shared it, it reminds me to follow my gut!!!
and the card she made was awesome, so your teaching skills are as great as you mommy skills... hang in there with those sick kids.
i love jill's idea for the punch card!

Anonymous said...

Michelle, that picture of Eva reading to her babies is the sweetest. Remember the line in the poem that Pres. Benson always used, "Richer than I you can never be, I had a mother who read to me"? That picture says it all.

Hope everyone gets better soon...and what a funny game your boys played. Reminds me of another quote, this one by Einstein "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Your boys have got the best of both worlds!

everything pink! said...

ok that Jane Payne is so awesome.

Elisa said...

I too love the creative ways in which your boys play! I am trying to store some ideas in my head since I am having a boy soon. Eva is so cute with her babies.

I want to be the kind of visiting teacher who would bring things at the last moment. I need to learn how to have things on hand that I can bring! I look around my kitchen not knowing what to make my family for dinner!

Get well soon! I am feeling the begging of something brewing in me as well Blagh.

Amy said...

OK, I love your visiting teachers, and your neighbor. It's so inspiring when people see a need and simply do somthing about it. I'm glad that you were the recipient of such wonderful service this week.

I also love stories about your kids. They're such inventive little (and big) people. The picture of Eva reading to her dolls is priceless, and the Rorschach tests are amazing! Your kids are ones I'm anxious to follow. You never know what they'll do next!

Amy said...

OK, I love your visiting teachers, and your neighbor. It's so inspiring when people see a need and simply do somthing about it. I'm glad that you were the recipient of such wonderful service this week.

I also love stories about your kids. They're such inventive little (and big) people. The picture of Eva reading to her dolls is priceless, and the Rorschach tests are amazing! Your kids are ones I'm anxious to follow. You never know what they'll do next!

Melinda said...

How nice!! I love when people are soo nice and thoughtful. THat must have totaly made your day. It is always nice when people show they care.

THat is soo funny about your boys! I love the pictures. The must of been the funnest afternoon activity.

Eva looks darling in her bed. Such a cute picture.

Jill said...

That picture of Eva reading to her dolls is priceless. She's so cute. I just wish she would make your life a little easier and do some quality sleeping for a change.

It is such a delight that we were able to go out on Saturday. How retarded is it that we only ever plan to do that on our birthdays? That seems a bit prehistoric or something.

The RPG game has always been unique, but to add the psycholanalytical aspects to it is just hilarious, creative, and wild.

I'm so impressed with your visiting teaching partner (aka Humble Pie Server), how wonderful that she brought you a frozen meal like that. Talk about being prepared on short notice! I'm inspired. I'm also impressed with the delivery of the clementines, bread and flowers! You're loved my friend.

jenn said...

Way to go Marc for realizing you needed OUT and letting you go!

Way to go VT for acting on a need!

Way to go Max and Lucas for having the most advanced imaginations ever!!

Way to go Eva for being a reader like her mommy!

Way to go Michelle for everything you do and because I just think you are so great!

Hope everyone is feeling better today!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love that photo of your little one reading. Too much sweetness there.

Also, I am so glad that you documented the RPG materials - seriously fantastic, and I could never have imagined it on my own. A little think tank right in your very own living room. Apparently, all you need is an encyclopedia and some ink. You are doing something right to be encouraging such outrageous creativity!

amy gretchen said...

I am so jealous of your spur of the moment get away. You so deserve it. It's hard to have sick kids at home so I'm sorry you had to deal with that all last week.

The photo of Eva is fantastic. I just love catching them in their own little world. The game your boys were playing cracks me up. Where would they come up with such an idea?

You have an awesome VT companion. It's so inspiring to see woman on the Lord's errand making a difference in others lives.

Hope this week is better for you.

Liz said...

I have to say the Rorshach testing is quite funny, interesting, clever, and wow! your boys are so intrigueing!

I am so happy that they brought over dinner, then came back with veggies, and cookies, and bread and clementines! Awesome! THis is what it is all about!!

carlo said...

Just had to say how inspired I am to read your blog and the sweetness you documented on all accounts.

I am so intrigued by VT, as I am not LDS and don't know a lot about it, but love what I have gathered about it through the circle of blogs I read (Jill, Kristi, yours). I admire the spirit and kindness and faith you each have.

Note to self: act more, think less. I tend to talk myself out of things if I think too much about it.

Amie said...

I hope your are all doing better today. I love that those in your ward did something and didn't just think about doing something. How nice to have goodness delivered.

Your kids are so funny. They are so smart good thing they have smart parents who know what they are talking about! Good thing you are documenting, no one would ever believe their creative genius started so young.

jenny said...

Eva looks so cute even though she was sick in that picture. Love it!

And as far as your boys....wow! That is way inquisitive look out world your boys are going to make some serious money someday with all that knowledge.

I hope your house is holding up this week, thank goodness for great friends and neighbors!

Jordan said...

I don't think I had that much food brought to me even after Hazel was born!! And, yum! So sorry about the sickies, nothing puts a kink in the day like that.

Anonymous said...

Awesome friends! I need some of those......get well to all.

Crystalyn said...

how wonderful to have such inspired women around you. that would have just made my week! so sweet. (and looks yummy too).

hang in there with the kids. hopefully they will start to feel better this week and you can get out a little more.

there should definitely be a punch card. or else one copay for family per week or something.

annalisa said...

Psychiatrists in the making. I love it. And how sweet of your vt partner, with the card from your class and all. I'm sure it's just what you needed feeling yucky. Hope you all feel better soon.

melanie said...

The picture of Eva is truly priceless! I love the comments Jane made. I need to print them out!

So wonderful not to have to cook dinner with sick kids! Very thoughtful people in your ward. I love it!

I hope tomorrow finds at least one kid on the mend!

Your boys are SO smart! I know I'm not telling you anything you don't know but seriously! I'm glad you are documenting too, proof for down the road!

collette said...

that is a little scary that Max developed his own Rorschach test!! He must be one smart cookie!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...