Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Merry Christmas to all...

I feel like I'll never be able to catch up, but I just have to do a brief overview of Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

I wanted to get a picture of the kids in their Christmas clothes, but as Eva was totally uncooperative, this was the best I could get:

Eva trying to hide from me.

Lucas with a drawing of Santa.

Max reluctantly consenting to a photo.

We invited Marc's parents to come over on Christmas Eve and spend the night so that they could be here first thing in the morning for all the fun. We had a little program where we read the story of the nativity in the Bible and the Book of Mormon, then we started a new tradition of giving gifts to the Savior. I bought a little red jewelry box for everyone and put each person's initial on it. We each wrote down privately what we will work on this year as our gift to the Savior and put it in the box. We will get them out every year, re-visit our previous gifts, and add a new one.

This is Lucas getting the manger so we could put the baby Jesus inside. The bits of straw represent good deeds the kids did for each other during December.

Max and Lucas decided to open the gifts they got for each other as their Christmas Eve gift. This was the first year they bought substantial gifts for each other and I love how excited they were about the whole process. (Max bought Lucas a Tamagotchi and Lucas bought Max a glass chess board. They were both thrilled.)

I snapped this picture of the tree just before I went to bed on Christmas Eve (it was only 1:15!).


We didn't all get up until around 7:30, then everyone looked in their stockings (my favorite part!). We had a time-out for Belgian waffles and then returned for present-opening.

She's got a lotta love for Blue.

My mom gave me the cutest vintage book in the world. To my suprise, when I opened the cover I discovered it was filled with erotica! As I suspected, she bought it only because it was unbelievably cute. We got a good laugh about this one. I may have to glue the pages shut before I put it on display...

As for her other gifts, there's no way I can document them all, she is so generous. She sent things for my stocking, gift cards, $$ toward our new carpet fund, a cuddly soft robe, my old Really Rosie record from when I was a little girl, it just goes on and on.

Marc gave me the gift I wanted most: installation of a keyless entry system on my van! I have to wait for a couple of weeks for the scheduled install, but as I have done without it for, um, forever, I think I can handle it. I am so excited as now running errands with Eva will be that much easier and more pleasant.

He also got us a memory foam topper for our bed. It added 4 inches to the height of our old mattress and now it feels like a totally new bed! Such luxury.

Jessie made me this book of quotes from our grandma. We've all been trying to collect them for years and fearing we might lose them to lack of organization and bad memories. Jessie took the initiative to gather them and record them for us. This gift actually made me cry and definitely makes the short list for best gifts I have ever received. Click here to see all the pages.

Marc's parents opening the scrapbooks I made for them. (one about each of my kids) Click here to see all the (not very good) photos.

They arranged for us to have a getaway to St. George as their gift to us. We opted to schedule it for UEA weekend, so we won't actually use it until October! It's something we can look forward to all year.

Apparently I don't have any photos of Marc opening his gifts! But I got him the striped sweater he had been pining after, a new video game (Trauma Center), a car charger for his cell phone, and a hypothetical gift: I found a portable backdrop I thought he might find useful for his photo shoots, but it was out of stock. I wasn't sure if he would like it anyway, so I wrapped up a picture of it along with a checklist of options for him, such as: I'm just not that into it. Throw in the black backdrop and I'm in! I'd rather have those cool new Chuck Taylor shoes I found. etc. I haven't gotten his response yet.

Eva got a new baby and a stroller. So far the baby hasn't had a ride yet, but she has taken all of her necklaces and bouncy balls for a spin. She got tired while we were opening gifts and took a 3 1/2 hour nap! That's an excellent gift right there. We didn't end up opening the rest of her presents until the 26th. She was pretty spoiled by everyone. Jessie & Timm made her the most darling puzzle, modeled after one my mom made years and years ago. I'll have to post a photo of that later.

Marc's sister Michelle and her family came over for dinner and I made my favorite favorite lasagna, splendid raspberry spinach salad, and garlic bread. Michelle brought a yule log for dessert, so festive!

I looked at the Pink Christmas blog for awhile, then Marc and I were going to watch a movie, but I just couldn't stay awake. I'm happy to report that I went to bed at 10:30! Amazing.

... and to all a good night.

(Incidentally, I am still working on a few projects that never got finished and I'm constantly reminded of the reason I had to stay up late all those nights. I just can't get anything done during the day time and it is so frustrating!)

10 comments:

Jill said...

It looks like a marvelous Christmas! I am blown away every year when I see all of the amazing gifts your parents send you guys. I've never seen generosity like that anywhere else.

I'm glad all your hardwork paid off with those beautiful scrapbooks for your parents and Marc's parents. You really outdid yourself with those.

The book Jessie made is absolutely amazing. As always, I feel covetous of your wise and cute grandmother.

How sweet of Eva to give you the gift of a 3.5 hour nap! If only that was a gift she would keep on giving.

Laurie said...

Oh what a great Christmas. The nap, the book of your grandma's quotes, the food, the tree, the kids, everything sounded and looked so good. Your gift for Jill just absolutely perfect. Yay for you!

Elizabeth said...

I love the gift you made for Jill. How thoughful and creative of you!

TX Girl said...

What a great recap. I especially love the photo of Eva. Too cute. Her dress looks darling- at least from the back :).

It sounds like y'all had a wonderful Christmas. I'm glad all the late hours paid off.

It cracks me up Eva has taken everything but her baby out for a spin. Sounds like Lulu.

I'll admit- I would totally buy a book just because it was pretty on the outside. Pathetic- I know.

melanie said...

You couldn't ask for a better gift than a 3 1/2 hour nap. Pure bliss for sure!

You have been busy with all those projects and scrapbooks. They are a treasure for sure!

And an early bed time, sounds great Michelle, glad you're back!

jenn said...

I'm still plugging along at gifts too Michelle! I figure, my family will forgive me! IF I ever get them finished! uugh!

jenny said...

What an amazing gift to give those scrapbooks. I fear if I did that my family wouldn't love them as much as I would. No wonder you were up all hours of the night. You were busy working on AMAZING projects. You definitely have an amazing nitch for being creative.

Your gift to Jill was beyond cute! Glad to hear you had a Merry Christmas.

And the quote book Jessie made what a great idea! Something to treasure for years to come.

Anonymous said...

As you were too busy to blog, I was too busy to read blogs! So I have really enjoyed a fairly quiet afternoon in my office without alot of phone calls, except for an irrate customer who insisted on being removed from our emial list because she couldn't return s0mething that was WAY past due, No receipt and NO tags-all criteria for receiving a full refund! I LOVE the hair! I got you phone message today about the Wii purchase (yea!!!) and the news on your styling success, so send me a photo of that one! Sounds good! And that sweater looks way too cute. You look thin in the photo, have you been holding out?! All the reports are so fun to read, it makes me homesick for your house at Christmas. I'm going to market in just little over a week. I was wondering if you are ready for alittle redesign on your tree- remarkably, the orange and green are very stylish still ( we were way ahead of our time with that story!) but perhaps alittle retro or urban flair instead of the sugared fruit? I am planning on putting up that tree for me next year (it's been in storage for about 6 years....) and I plan to redesign it just a bit. We'll talk. I too cherish the book with Grandma's quotes and photo and personal note to me. It is priceless. The books of the children are, as well. Enough for now! I love you.

Crystalyn said...

what an incredible day! your photos (including adorable eva) make me feel nostalgic. jessie's book is amazing! wow...what a treasure. how wonderful to have something like that.

Amy said...

Your Christmas sounds wonderful! The book the Jessie took the time to put together is so cute, as usual, and it's value is beyond measure. It's somethign that you'll treasure forever. I love hearing about your grandmother, and reading her quotes convinces me even more that you are very blessed with your family.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...